Solved: Lost one year of e-mail in my inbox

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

germon

Dear Sirs.

My Outlook Express (OE) program asked if I want to archive messages to make a faster access to my computer (or something like that). After I did accept, I found out that one year (sep 1, 2007 - aug 31, 2008), of my messages were gone. I have messages that go back to 2002, and they are still there. Te version of the OE is 6, and my computer uses Windows XP, Pentium M. Any idea where I can find my information?.

Thanks

germon

by the way, since it happened; I am unable to erase any messages from the inbox. The datga lost was only form the inbox, all other files are intact

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi germon

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Look in the Recycle Bin, do you see any files with the extension .bak?

Let us know what you find.

germon

Hello EAFiedler.

Yes, I have lots of *.bak files comming from the Outlook Express program. There is also an inbox.bak file with 1.2 GB of information.

Germon

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
That sounds promising. :)
Don't delete those .bak files, you can leave them in the Recycle Bin, for the moment, just don't empty the Recycle Bin.

In Outlook Express, empty the Inbox, move messages in the Inbox to another folder of your own creation, in Outlook Express.

Locate the directory where Outlook Express keeps it's Message Store:
Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder
Note the directory location, then Cancel out of the window.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to that directory.
Locate the Inbox.dbx file and rename it: Inbox.old

Outlook Express must be closed to allow renaming of the .dbx files.

Open the Recycle Bin and Move the .bak files to a folder on the Desktop.
Rename the Inbox.bak file to Inbox.dbx.
Right click and Copy the Inbox.dbx file and Paste it into the Outlook Express Message Store.

Start Outlook Express, and access the Inbox folder, the messages that were saved in the Inbox.bak file should appear and hopefully the missing messages were saved, as well.

Let us know what happens.

germon

EAfiedler.

Yes!!! It worked. Now I have all my e-mails from sept 07 troughout sept 4 this year. The only problem that remains to be solved is that I am not able to erase any mail from the inbox. I can do it from other folder like the delete items etc.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot for the useful information

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Yay! :) Good job on following the instructions. (y)

The Deleted Items folder may be corrupted.

With Outlook Express closed,
Go back to the Message Store for Outlook Express and delete the Deleted Items.dbx file.

Start Outlook Express and see if you can now delete messages.

germon

EAFiedler.

You were right again. I did what you suggested and it worked fine. Now I can erase all the messages that I don’t need. You were of incredible help and I do appreciate your time and knowledge very much.

Thanks

German Borbolla
Mexico City

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online