1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost Original zip folder

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ti-gris, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Using Vista SP2 IE8
    Hope this is the right forum.
    I lost the original microsoft Compressed (zipped) Folder. The only thing I can find is the
    zipfldr.dll in the Windows 32 Folder. How can I get this back? I don't want a third party like 7-Zip,
    Win-Zip. RAR. Other tidits: no icon, lost the association of .zip it doesn't appear in the list,
    missing Compressed (zipped) Folder entry to the "Send To" menu. Would appreciate any help,
    thanks in advance.:)

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try THIS.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Phantom010

Thank you for your input. I have to leave, will try tomorrow.
    Pat

4. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Phantom010
    The merge was done but I still see the same zipfldr.dll dated 11/04/2009 in: C>Windows>System32 folder.

Before calling you I tried "fix association for Windows Vista" from: Winhelponline.com,
    still no association; same with "Restore missing Compressed (zipped) Folder option to the Send To menu"
    This by using Microsoft Fix it. I should have called you before but I was trying to fix it and not bother you guys. This issue may be a left over from a virus handled by Keven80 on my thread entitled
    "Weird things happening" of 10-Jan-2013, 1246PM in the "Virus & Other Malware Removal" forum.
    Appreciate your valuable time. pat

5. Phantom010

So, if I understand correctly, my registry fix didn't fix what you were hoping it would?

6. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

It does not like it did: there is no file association; no "Compressed (zipped) Folder option to the Send To menu"; no icons. The only way I can get a Zip Folder is right click on the desk = a zip folder appears
    but if I right click on it the curser turns into a round green like when its busy or working in the 'background
    and the only way I can stop it is restart the computer. pat :confused:

7. Phantom010

8. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

I had already tried this one but tried again and same result as before.
    So I decided to download either win-zip or 7-zip, which one do you
    recommend? I also tried their last suggestion: "Alternately, you can
    download zipfldr.zip, unzip and extract the enclosed file to your SendTo folder".
    Thanks for the time spent. pat

9. Phantom010

7-zip is what I use when I need more than the default Windows compression utility. It's particularly useful to open .RAR files.

10. ti-gris

ti-gris Thread Starter

Phantom010

Thanks for your help. will usethe one yoou suggested.
    pat (y)

11. Phantom010

Sorry for not being able to do more, but you're welcome. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!