1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost Password Admin Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gramfan, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gramfan

gramfan Thread Starter

Can't log into Administrator...:confused: tried every password I can think of!!!
    I know it is case-sensitive, and I have tried leaving it blank.
    I can log into user name, but I am very limited to what I can do. I am logged in as a power user...but have no power!:(
    Is there any work around to get into Admin? I really don't want to reinstall.
    Appreciate any suggestions.

2. Yorien

Yorien

Yorien says:

Well, you could use a software like "Active Password Changer" or similar to reset your admin password and leave it blank. Most of the soft changing this is not free but think there are still some freeware progs around there who do the same.

Sorry can't help you where to find those programs. At work we use Active Password Changer, so I know it works perfectly, but it's not freeware.

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

4. FatherCrowe

FatherCrowe

You could also try to get a copy of ERD Commander, this lets you log into a recovery consol, where you can reset passwords and you should also be able to extract data.

Sorry don't know where the best place to get a copy would be.

5. gramfan

gramfan Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions! A friend will be helping me tomorrow to decide what to do. I will let you know the results. I am not feeling very brave. I have learned an important lesson....write down all passwords!!!

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Log in using "Administrator" as account name. Tab to password section, hit enter.

Not very familiar with 2000, so this may not be exact.

Start>Settings>User accounts>Click on desired user>Change password

Just did this, or similiar, on a friends when he couldn't remember his password.

Some security eh!

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

XPSP2, the reason that worked for your friend is because he didn't set a password for the Administrator account. The poster can't log into the Administrator account because a password has been set.

8. gramfan

gramfan Thread Starter

You can't change the password unless you are logged in as Administrator. There lies the problem! Win 2000 seems extremely secure.

9. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Not exactly.... if you have admin rights on the machine you can change the admin password from your own account. ;)

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Did you try my suggestion?
    My friend has 2000 Pro.
    When I did this on his, it created a new account. There were four accounts, there is now five.
    I then changed the password on his limited and admin account.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

XPSP2, your suggestion only works if no password was assigned to the Administrator account. The post seems to clearly indicate that this is the account for which the password is unknown. Once a password is set on the Administrator account, you cannot log into it by leaving the password field blank.

12. gramfan

gramfan Thread Starter

XPSP2, we tried your suggestion....it did not work. You were fortunate that it worked for your friend.
    We made the decision to reinstall Win 2000Pro. Eventhough it is a lot of work, sometimes a clean install is worth the effort.
    Thank you for all your suggestions. And YES....I have the password saved!!!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice