1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost reinstall disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by diceman422, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diceman422

diceman422 Thread Starter

My daughter is in college and her computer's hard drive has given out, including the partition containing the system backup. I had a HDD that I wasn't using, so I gave it to her. Unfortunately, she has misplaced the reinstall cds (Windows XP Home) that came with her computer (eMachines T3990). My son has a Dell Dimension 2400 that also has XP Home installed on it. He still lives at home, so I know exactly where his installation disk is. My question is: Will his XP install CD work for her eMachines even though the disk says to only use it to reinstall Windows on a Dell computer? If so, I could then just download the drivers from the web. I just don't know whether an OS disk that came with a Dell computer contains Dell specific files on it that would cause it not to work properly on another brand of computer, or if it's just a regular XP OS disk with Dell's name on it. I purchased both of these computers for my kids to use mainly for school, and we are all in the same household, so I hope you don't consider this a violation of your illegal activity clause, because I simply can't afford to buy another computer.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You don't need to buy a whole new computer but you can buy eMachines recovery discs for a lot less than a new computer or a retail copy of Windows.

A Google search for eMachines T3990 recovery discs should find a place that sells them if you can no longer get them from eMachines.

3. bbearren

bbearren

You can use the Dell disk with the key from the COA sticker on her PC, and download the drivers from the web.

4. diceman422

Thanks. Forgive me, but what and where is the COA sticker. Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't know what COA stands for. I know that the model and serial # are on the front of her computer, but I don't know what "COA" means in computer language.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    COA stands for Certificate of Authenticty. It is the holographic Microsoft sticker attached to the computer that has the 25 character product key.

6. diceman422

Thanks. Actually I just realized what that meant after looking at the case on my son's computer. Don't know how I never noticed that sticker. Just so I'm 100% clear, do I use the COA from the computer the install disk came with or from the one that I'm installing the OS to.

P.S. I couldn't find any info for obtaining a recovery disk on eMachines website. I did find some 3rd party results, but I'm not sure if I should trust them or not. So hopefully using this disk I have will work fine. It did look like all of the driver downloads I will need are located on the eMachine site, so at least I won't have to hunt for them.

7. vicks

vicks

Have you tried contacting e-machine's customer service dept. I am pretty sure you should be able to purchase the cds. You probably will need to give them the serial number for the computer, as well as the model.
    Good luck
    Vicks

8. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

9. bbearren

bbearren

Always use the COA Product Key of the computer which is receiving the installation.

10. diceman422

Thanks for the link.

11. diceman422

Thanks. I thought that was how it should be, but wanted to make sure. If for some reason it doesn't work, I'll try the restore disk company that was suggested by another member. Surely one of the 2 will solve my problem and save me a bunch of $, so I'm going to mark this thread as solved. Thanks to everyone who helped with this issue!

12. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

thank you for returning and posting your solution :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/845672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice