1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lost Restore Calendar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Donwan, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

My Restore points are completely gone and I need to restore back a few days. Recently I have had issues with Outlook Express sending multiple e-mails of the same message which I believe because of a virus. Other wierd stuff such as jpeg pics not opening as usual. I am on Dell Diminsion, XP, SP3. The Restore function is in on position and I have lots of HD space. Hope someone can help.

2. vicks

vicks

First of all run your anti virus and antimalware/spyware programs. then Start the computer in safe mode (tap F8 key while computer is booting, use arrow keys to move up to last known good configuration, click enter and let the computer do it's thing. Then run your security programs again. If computer comes up clean, set a system restore point.
    VIcks

3. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

I gave your suggestion a try but sorry to say I still have a blank calendar. Thanks for the effort-appreciated. Any other suggestions?

4. vicks

vicks

Do you by any chance use Norton for your security? I know sometimes it will disable being able to use the system restore. My daughter has a computer that has that problem with Norton 360.
    Vicks

5. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

My security is simply Norton AV. I also run Malwarebytes and Superspyware. I will disable & try Restore afterwords and come back--but it will be later tomorrow-it's almost midnite here in Tex. Thanks for your interest.

6. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

Vick--I disabled Norton and checked Restore. I still have a blank window for restore points. Thanks

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your specs indicate you have an 80GB hard drive. That means the system if very old. The drive is probably full, and there are no restore points. You can't restore if there are no restore points.

8. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

Doublehelix--thanks for your response. My hd has 42g free space indicated. I should think that amount would be sufficient.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How much space is reserved for restore points?

10. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

I do not know how to determine that. Thanks for staying with me.

11. vicks

vicks

Donwan,
    Disabling Norton will NOT bring up restore points, because non are made.
    DoubleHelix has more experience than I have so I suggest following his advice....
    Vicks

12. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

I have 8577mb disk space for Restore Points. Thanks

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is the only problem you're having is that there are no restore points? If so, you can't restore it back to a point in time.

14. Donwan

Donwan Thread Starter

Yes, no restore points are available and that seems to be the only computer problem of significance I have. If you are telling me that there is no way to resurrect the restore points that were once there, then what I am trying to do is futile. Please confirm that I will assume this post has been resolved. Thanks again for your kind help.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If there aren't any restore points, you can't restore.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!