1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: LOTR II CD is scratched, is there anything I can do??

Discussion in 'Games' started by Em-Blem, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

Hiya,

I'm trying to install my boyfriend's game LOTR Battle of Middle Earth II, but the CD has a scratch in it (not actually a bad one, shouldn't normally be bad enough to stop installation according to me). I managed, after a whole night's work, to install the game, after copying the entire thing - including the damaged file, textures1.big, which I had to try to copy about 20 times before it finally let itself be copied properly - onto the computer. It now installs fine and runs all the way past the end of the opening movie, but then it gets stuck at a picture where those two giant statues are holding their hands up, and won't go any further. I came up with the ingenious idea of burning the complete CD from the computer to a new CD to make it work that way, but of course a 700MB CD isn't big enough for a 5GB game! Does anyone have any ideas? As I said, I have the complete game on the computer, surely I must be able to do something with it? Is there a way to get the game to run totally from the computer (it's currently running from the CD and think the reason it won't play is because of the scratch)?

Thanks,

Em

2. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

I should add that the game has played on the computer before (we reformatted it about a week ago, and during the course of that, a scratch appeared on the CD) so I know that the computer meets the system requirements.

3. kombat75

kombat75

does the game in cd version or dvd version ?

4. S132

S132

It shouldn't matter if the computer meets the requirements or not, it will still install, if the installer isn't showing up right away im guessing you manually checked by going into your drive? e.g E drive or whatever your disc drive is set too.

You could try buying a cd scratch remover. If you can't do anything, im sure you can buy a replacement disc from EA, if you don't want to do that I have no idea, if you still had the game on your computer, you could have created a mini-image so you did not have to use the disc, or you could have burned it with nero or alcohol, its legal since your backing up the disc for safety.

5. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

Thanks for replying!

When installing from the CD (think it's actually a DVD rom, it says something like that on it) it goes through half the installation - until 53% where it hangs on the file textures1.big - and when I copied the game onto the computer I checked which file it wouldn't copy, and it was only textures1.big, so I know that's the problem. As previously mentioned, I managed to burn textures1.big onto the computer in full once, and only once, after much cd-rubbing and general coaxing. This means that I do have the whole game, in full, with no errors, on the computer. What is this "mini-image" you talk about? I would burn the game but I don't have any CD's big enough (nearly 5GB), can you buy those?

Thanks!

Em

6. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

YEEEEE-HAW!

I noticed that I'd missed two little folders containing the files MainMenu.big, MenuExport.big and a few more when copying the CD to the computer. I zipped them up in the appropriate zip-file, 0compressed.zip, and lo and behold: it's working! Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it!

Em

7. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

Hey,

I tried playing the game and it's very... purple. The graphics aren't as good as they should be, paths are purple, background to the menus is purple... Does anyone know why this can be? Could it be because the files I copied and was forced to re-zip (as they're zipped on the CD) are zipped too "tightly"?

8. rhettduck

rhettduck

Hey guys if the scratchs are not too deep then there are some companies that can do a restore on the CD That will depend on if you have the service avaible where you live or close enough that it is worth the time to drive there.. so you have to compare the cost of the restore to the cost of a new game Quack!

9. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

Nice picture :)

It's a shallow scratch, so I'm actually thinking of buying a scratch remover, it should work I think.

10. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

But I could really do with some expert advice about the purple background issue. The game works but the graphics are terrible and, as I said, a lot of things are purple and very squarish in shape. Does anyone know if this might be due to a damaged file, or the fact that it's installed and played directly from the harddrive, or what?

11. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

And might a patch fix it?

12. Em-Blem

Em-Blem Thread Starter

Anyone?? Should I post a new thread (as this one's marked as solved)? Maybe in another forum? I'm getting quite annoyed: the menu background - purple. Trees outside of viewing range - purple. Buildings - purple. Graphics - hideous. I expect more from a £30 game.

I've had a look around on the computer, and there appear to be two video card drivers installed: one for the Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 card and one for the Intel motherboard card. Surely this isn't right? After my boyfriend had reformatted the computer and told me that BFME2 didn't work, I went to have a look what was going on and noticed that no Nvidia drivers were installed, but that something called Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, which I didn't remember from before the reformat, was. I found some advice on the internet where it said that before you install the driver of a non-motherboard graphics card, you have to uninstall the old one. I followed those instructions, uninstalled Intel and installed Nvidia (v81.85), however after I'd uninstalled the Intel(R) driver a 'New Hardware' message kept popping up each time I rebooted, eventually forcing me to reinstall the driver. Am I being totally stupid here? Do I need to disable the motherboard video card via Device Manager or something? Could this be why the game is behaving in this way? And, if so, how come Blitzkrieg 2 still plays fine?

Please help.

Em

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice