1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: lots of ?'s...can we chat?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tryntalern, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tryntalern

tryntalern Thread Starter

i was just looking for a little education and advice from some who knew more than i did
    thought it would be fun and informative...so much for that(n) :( :rolleyes:

the following was my original

dont know where to start...windows xp 56k modem superslow...not happy with isp/peoppc/constant script errors / unhelpful techs/want to change/

why do downloads take soooooooo long ? went to youtube 4 fun,just got frustrated/video loads 2 seconds at a time !

is there a way to clear blocked popups /win.int.exp

again,so many ?;s:eek::confused::confused:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi tryntalern, and welcome to TSG.

If you expect answers to all of your questions within 4-1/2 hours of posting them, you may be asking them in the wrong place. We are all volunteers here helping each other when we have the time to do so.

Many members prefer dealing with all issues in the public forums and not use any kind of real time private chat sessions. The person that may best be able to help you may not be on the same schedule as you are as far as when they can visit this site. Also, other visitors and members may benefit from solutions given in a public forum.

If you have multiple problems that may not be related to each other, you are usually better off posting each one separately in the correct forum.

FYI, trying to view YouTube videos over a 56K dial up connection might best be described as being for masochists only. The connection speed is just too slow for smooth real time viewing.

3. tryntalern

:(:( sorry for my impatience chuck...thank you for responding.
    since im really brand new to this , i had no idea what to expect.
    i was under the impression that it was mostle chat here. i still dont understand this string thing..i guess ill get the hang of it.
    i DO appreciate any help i am offered.
    can you explain how i post seperated questions real quick? then i would be glad to.the guide isnt really that informative.
    :Di really am easy to get along with//im intermediate with comp usage...but lousy at lingo and protocol.again my apologies and thanx

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Don't worry you'll get the hang of it in not too much time.

To have the best chance for getting answers avoid overuse of text messaging abbreviations. Some people (I am one of them) don't know them and won't waste time trying to figure them out. Making at least an attempt at correct spelling, capitalization and punctuation can go a long way towards getting more people to read and understand your question or problem. :D

If the questions or problems are not related to each other, start a new post for each one. For example, your problems with peoppc (People PC :confused:) and finding another ISP would be one question.

Your slow download speeds and the problem with viewing YouTube videos could be posted as one question.

You may want to use TSG's search feature to see if anyone else has had your problem and it all ready has a posted solution. If the solution does not work for you, it is usually not a good idea to post your problem in the old thread. Start a new one and reference/link to the old thread.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Also, reading the forum description would be a really good idea.
    Computer questions should really go to software, hardware, or perhaps networking.

I'll move this to Windows to start...

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Tryntalern:

Unless you're living in a remote location where 56K dial-up(or satellite dish) are the only internet connection options, you need to seriously consider upgrading to a high-speed cable or fiber optics service.

Besides the fact that graphic-laced webpages are going to take a long time to load on a 56K dial-up connection, trying to watch anything video-related is going to be very slow or impossible because data can't be transferred fast enough.

It's also my guess that your computer hasn't been kept up-to-date with all the critical and recommended updates that Microsoft releases every month because of the large size of some of them and the long amount of time it takes to download and install them. Am I correct?

As you can see, the TechGuy forums are broken up into different sections. Depending on what your problem or question is will determine where you post it. We're here to help you, but be patient and don't expect an immediate response.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. tryntalern

:( unfortunately you are exactly correct : i am in an extremely remote area , and do only have stinky dialup available (ie white mountain , lakes region NH..sad but true.)no such thing around here like fiber optics... we do have high speed but it so dang expensive...im literally at THE END of out phone service lines & electric !! remote enough for ya ? :)
    I have been trying to download all the criticals , but like you also said, they're taking HOURS :eek: around these parts there is absolutely no-one to turn to for questions or information. I run two jobs and only recently did one decide to go internet orientated..I was a happy little camper playing my occasional game & not being hooked to the internet...now I feel totally lost...but I Will get it...it may take me a while , but I'll learn : so again I want to thank you guys and apologize for my earliest attitude.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not sure if this broadband guide for NH will be of any help. You may get lucky and find a wireless service provider that does not charge an arm and leg for service or installation.

Broadband services offered in New Hampshire
    http://www.techlinknh.org/broadbandchart.htm

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    My long-time cave diving partner lives out in the sticks in north Florida and was stuck with 56K dial-up until he got satellite service installed. Cable service is years away from being installed out there. He's an E.R. physician and makes big bucks, so the high installation cost didn't phase him much. It's nice now to get on his computer and not have it run like a snail when online.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice