1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: lots of yellow exclamation marks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sharonje, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've been searching the internet for ages for some help - to no avail.
    So my problem is, lots of yellow exclamtion marks.
    Now, I've had to re-install XP due to several problems.
    So, everything looked okay until I tried to log onto the internet. No internet. My netgear router is all lit and ok (got anoter 2 coomps working on it) on checking the device manager it has several yellow exclamation marks, I've uninstalled them all and then scanned for hardware changes and tried to reinstall them. This hasn't worked.
    I don't know what manufacturer they are and not sure how to find that out as it isn't listed.
    The machine is fairly old iesystem 5032 (advent)
    I am presuming the drivers haven't installed properly but inserting the only recovery disk I have when trying to install the drivers doesn't work.
    What can I do now?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Windows XP CD has a large database of drivers built into it, but in most cases it won't install all the drivers for all the hardware in a computer during a fresh install.

That's why it's a good idea to obtain and burn off the drivers to a CD-R before you start.

The display adapter, sound device, 56K modem, network adapter, and chipset are usually the drivers needed.

You didn't mention which entries in the Device Manager have an exclamation mark, so we don't know at this point which drivers you need.

Go to the "Utilities" list at www.oldversion.com and download and install Everest Home Edition - version 1.51.195 or version 2.20.405. It should be able to tell you which hardware is in that computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

Whoops,
    I've written ists and notes galore about it all but never what was wrong.
    I will have alook a little later a post it up.
    56k modem sounds a familiar one, I did have a quick look and see if I could get dial up but didn't have any success

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you use high-speed broadband:) and not 56K dialup:( for a connection, you don't need to install the 56K modem driver.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

Right just looked at it again and the devices with exclamation marks are
    under : other devices (which has yellow exclamation mark), Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Controller, PCI modem, SM Bus Controller (VGA compatible).
    Another thing I've noticed is that the standby icon is dark so therefore cannot be highlighted. - not sure if that is linked to the problem or just another one.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer definitely needs the driver for the network adapter(ethernet controller) so it can get online. We need to know what network adapter is in your computer so we know which driver to look for and download and install.

7. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

How do I find out what network adaptor is in my computer? It isn't listed in properties in the device manager

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try PCWizard[​IMG] for system information.

9. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

Thanks for that one, just downloaded it on to memory stick so will have ago at it tomorrow.
    I can't believe the amount of time this is taking me to do.
    I've never really messed around with the basic running stuff, it's usually software and programmes that I like to play around with.

10. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

mental note for when it's back up and running - burn drivers on to cd

11. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

Finally found some time
    Right I think I'm reading what I need 1394 net adapter
    Network card VT 82C570MVTDE
    Controller VT6105 Rhine III Fast ethernet
    Video card Intel corp 82856G Itegrated Graphics Device

Now am I correct in thinking that finding and installing the drivers for the above 2 things that will enable all of the things that have yellow exclamation marks (which I posted earlier on in the thread)

Thanks everyone for your help, it is really appreciated

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Just to make sure you didn't have a typo, are you sure the integrated graphics controller is 82856G? Is it possibly 82865G?

---------------------------------------------------------------

This appears to be the download for the VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Controller:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1190&SubCatID=127

It's version 4.0, dated 08/15/2007.

It's in .ZIP format, so download and save it inside a folder that you create for it on the desktop. After it's been downloaded and saved, right-click it and click "Extract Here". After the extraction process completes, double-click the Setup.exe file to start the install process. After the install process is complete, restart your computer.

I googled VT 82C570MVTDE and didn't have any luck. Make sure there's not a typo there either.

13. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

Yep, typo error on 82865g and on the VT82C570MV IDE controller Flipping pen wasn't working properly when I wrote it down:eek:

14. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

Am I doing something wrong? I've downloaded it all ok, extract it, but then can't seem to get into setup.exe

15. sharonje

sharonje Thread Starter

UPDATE!!!!! Have somehow done something right 'cos driver installed and we are now back up and running on the internet - yay - but there are still some of those nasty exclamation marks still floating about
    they are - Base system device
    (device not config code 1)
    PCI modem (not config code 28)
    SM bus contoller (code 28)
    Video controller vga compatible (code 10
    A few new ones and some old ones.
    Oh and 'cos it's the kids computer apparently got to download service pack 2? I thought MSN was ok with service pack 1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice