1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: low disc space message

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by moojie, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moojie

moojie Thread Starter

I am running windows 8 on a HP Pavillion g6 laptop. I am constantly getting a message saying " You are running out of space on drive E HP_TOOLS " It is driving me absolutely nuts showing up every 3-4 minutes. I have tried several options mentioned in other forums here but to no avail. Can anyone out there help me please ? :eek:

2. ETech7

ETech7

Are you running any sorts of backup software? It may be storing (by mistake) backups on that drive.

3. moojie

moojie Thread Starter

Im not aware of any backups running .

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Welcome to Tech Support Guy
    Send me please a screenshot of disk management
    right click computer click manage
    disk management on left pane and when that loads
    press prt scrn key once
    in paint click paste
    click the select
    drag the mouse across the image of disk management
    click copy
    click file
    click new
    save no
    click paste
    the selected image only of the disk management window will appear
    click file click save as
    change file type to jpeg

then on reply click go advanced and add to post as screenshot - manage add-ons

5. moojie

moojie Thread Starter

As requested attached screenshot .

Attached Files:

6. Macboatmaster

Is this HP purchased by you 8 pre-installed or have you upgraded to 8 please
    ALSO is it within your knowledge if the free space has changed OR if the laptop is reasonably new have you always received these messages

Can you open drive E please in Computer and send me a screenshot of what is in there - as it appears when you open

7. moojie

moojie Thread Starter

Hi .Enclosed screen shot as requested of drive E. Laptop is approx 2 yrs old. Upgraded to windows 8 from 7. The message was there prior to upgrade. I am unaware of any free space changes. Hope this helps. Regards, M.

Attached Files:

8. Macboatmaster

On your screenshot MarieHP is a backup file it should not be there.

As my colleague said earlier you or someone have configured backups to this drive

Now you have upgraded to 8 the original backup settings on whatever you upgraded from will of course not be visible

What if any settings have you made for backups on Windows 8 - please

Go to computer right click it click properties, then on left pane click system protection
    If E drive is shown when it loads the drives in the white box as having system restore set for that E drive
    then click once to highlight the drive and then click the configure button and turn OFF system protection on THAT drive.

CHECK that it is on for the C drive

Reboot
    Go to E drive copy the MarieHP folder and MediaID bin to your external hard drive, if you have one
    Check they have copied OK
    Go back to E drive and delete the MarieHP folder
    and also delete the MediaID bin
    DO NOT delete the others
    All should now be well.
    If you receive any messages relating to E drive at anytime and the system being unable to find those items - although I do not think you will - then you have them on your external drive.

IF YOU do not have an external Hard drive I strongly recommend that you buy one and create on there your full image and also a repair disc from Control Panel Windows 7 file recovery - create system image, create repair disc on left of window

Did you upgrade it and if so did you create the install media and then upgrade or did you upgrade on the download without creating the install media

9. moojie

moojie Thread Starter

I followed your instructions and clicked on system protection .Drive E does NOT show up. Drive C is on Drive D is off. Regards x

10. moojie

moojie Thread Starter

All suggestions complied with. Backed up to external drive & deleted from E. .I will keep you posted as to result.Regards, M. X :D

11. Macboatmaster

What free space do you have on E now please

12. moojie

moojie Thread Starter

I have 1.7 gb free now. THANK YOU !! (y)(y)(y)(y)

13. Macboatmaster

Thanks
    Mark the topic solved please by clicking on the Mark Solved button on YOUR post
    Pleased to have helped
    Just post again of course and and when you need help or just general advice

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!