Solved: low disc space message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moojie

I am running windows 8 on a HP Pavillion g6 laptop. I am constantly getting a message saying " You are running out of space on drive E HP_TOOLS " It is driving me absolutely nuts showing up every 3-4 minutes. I have tried several options mentioned in other forums here but to no avail. Can anyone out there help me please ? :eek:

Are you running any sorts of backup software? It may be storing (by mistake) backups on that drive.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Welcome to Tech Support Guy
Send me please a screenshot of disk management
right click computer click manage
disk management on left pane and when that loads
press prt scrn key once
in paint click paste
click the select
drag the mouse across the image of disk management
click copy
click file
click new
save no
click paste
the selected image only of the disk management window will appear
click file click save as
change file type to jpeg

then on reply click go advanced and add to post as screenshot - manage add-ons

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Is this HP purchased by you 8 pre-installed or have you upgraded to 8 please
ALSO is it within your knowledge if the free space has changed OR if the laptop is reasonably new have you always received these messages

Can you open drive E please in Computer and send me a screenshot of what is in there - as it appears when you open

moojie

Hi .Enclosed screen shot as requested of drive E. Laptop is approx 2 yrs old. Upgraded to windows 8 from 7. The message was there prior to upgrade. I am unaware of any free space changes. Hope this helps. Regards, M.

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
On your screenshot MarieHP is a backup file it should not be there.

As my colleague said earlier you or someone have configured backups to this drive

Now you have upgraded to 8 the original backup settings on whatever you upgraded from will of course not be visible

What if any settings have you made for backups on Windows 8 - please

Go to computer right click it click properties, then on left pane click system protection
If E drive is shown when it loads the drives in the white box as having system restore set for that E drive
then click once to highlight the drive and then click the configure button and turn OFF system protection on THAT drive.

CHECK that it is on for the C drive

Reboot
Go to E drive copy the MarieHP folder and MediaID bin to your external hard drive, if you have one
Check they have copied OK
Go back to E drive and delete the MarieHP folder
and also delete the MediaID bin
DO NOT delete the others
All should now be well.
If you receive any messages relating to E drive at anytime and the system being unable to find those items - although I do not think you will - then you have them on your external drive.

IF YOU do not have an external Hard drive I strongly recommend that you buy one and create on there your full image and also a repair disc from Control Panel Windows 7 file recovery - create system image, create repair disc on left of window

Did you upgrade it and if so did you create the install media and then upgrade or did you upgrade on the download without creating the install media

moojie

I followed your instructions and clicked on system protection .Drive E does NOT show up. Drive C is on Drive D is off. Regards x

moojie

All suggestions complied with. Backed up to external drive & deleted from E. .I will keep you posted as to result.Regards, M. X :D

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks
Mark the topic solved please by clicking on the Mark Solved button on YOUR post
Pleased to have helped
Just post again of course and and when you need help or just general advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts