Solved: Low disc space on c

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

frank55

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2046 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, 64 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 39166 MB, Free - 182 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0C2425
Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled.

+++ I have a problem that I keep getting " you have low disk space on c " . I do not have a lot of programs. No games, etc. Just use email, google search, Facebook etc.
I run the cc cleaner,, it "SAYS" it has freed up space, but minutes later i get the same response that Im low on disk space.
( a while back i un-installed Mozilla/Firefox,, but when I run the cc cleaner - firefox shows up in the cc cleaner. Could Firefox still be in there when i thought I un-installed it and it is using up space ?? Just an idea.
Thanks for your help .

40 GB is a pretty small hard drive for XP. Having said that, it may be helpful to look at where the space is being used. You can do so with a free small utility called Treesize. You can download it by clicking here. Install it and run scan of your C:/ drive to see how much space is being used and by what.

frank55

Thank you for your help. I did a scan from " TreeSize "
here is what the majority says --- Size Allocated Files Folders % of parent
Documents and Settings 16,924.8 MB 16,960.7 MB 21,240 2,059 43.7%

WINDOWS 16,919.6 MB 16,253.6 MB 36,665 4,635 41.9%

Files 2,672.4mb 2,672.4 16 0 6.9 %

Program Files 1,823.1 MB 1,841.3 MB 9,419 1,466 4.7%

1386 949.5 965.7 MB 7824 52 2.5 %

Now what ???
Thanks

A screenshot of the Treesize scan would be helpful. In case you do not know how to do that, following is a detailed process.
To capture a screen shot.

Depending on what you want to capture, one of two options are available.

To capture the entire desktop, just press the "Print Screen" key located on the right hand side of the keyboard in the uppermost row of keys (to the right of the F12 key).

To capture the active (open) window only. Hold down the "Alt" key, then press the "Print Screen" key.

Following either one of the above actions, open Paint (Start/Programs/Accessories/Paint). Paste (Ctrl+V or Edit/Paste) the captured screen shot into Paint.

Under "File", select "Save As".

Browse to find where you wish to store the image.

In the "Save as Type" (at the bottom of the window), select .JPEG from the drop down menu.

Type in a file name and click "Save".

To attach the screen shot to a post on TSG.

Click the "Reply" button on this thread. At the top of the reply window are two rows of symbols. In the top row next to the smiley face is a "Paper Clip" symbol. Click that symbol.

A new window (Manage Attachments) will open. Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the saved screen shot and click it. Now in the Manage Attachments window click the "Upload" button. Repeat the process for any additional screen shots. When done, click "Close Window" in the upper right corner.

When you Click "Submit Reply" on the forum, a thumbnail of the image(s) will appear at the bottom of the post. If you click the thumbnail a full page size of the image will open.
I sggest you expand the Treesize window to full screen to ensure capturing all the information.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online