Solved: Low Disc space on Recovery Drive-Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dianne Stiffler

I have a compaq presario PC with Vista programming.

I continually get messages telling me I have low disc space in Recovery
Drive D. It loses space rapidly and now I have almost no disc space, I cant even run a backup because I dont have enough space. I have uninstalled everything that was not being used or redundent, and have cleaned up the disc, but to no avail. Help, what do I do? And why does it keep on filling up with things I am unable to detect. I am a novice user, so I need help. PS: It is only a year old.:confused:

I would check and see if Hibernation is enabled or not. If it is enabled, turn it off and delete the files it stored.

Also, check your system restore points (can be found in the control panel). If you have a years worth of restore points that would eat away a LOT of space.

One last thing...you could try compressing the drive to give you some more space...just right-click on the drive in Computer, go to Properties, and see if it is compressed or not.

Dianne Stiffler

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but it was late when I finally got everything done. It worked beautifully. I have tons of space now in my Recovery Drive, and best of all I now know how to keep it like that. Thank You so much, you taught me so much in just a few lines. If I wasn't married I'd ask you out for a date! Thanks again, Dianne;)

Hi. I have the same problem and Dianne is Steve Jobs compared to me in terms of tech-savviness. I have a Dell desktop with Vista and I tried both suggestions but I can't even find Hibernation or "restore points.":confused:

I agree I had the same problem and all i did was compressed the drive and reformated it work like a charm

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
well i reformated it, and it freed up all my space so thats all i know,I dont know if compressing it would hurt it or not sounds like maybe it would I'm not sure if theres a reason why it would please let me know thx

Dianne Stiffler

This is for Larrylintz- to find hibernation go to "Windows Help & Support" on desktop- search hibernation and it will lead you to your power management, where you'll be able to change your settings if hibernation is being used. Also use the same search box for "restore points". There it will show you how to go to System Restore, then go into "system properties" then click on system protection then activate "system restore". Once you've done that you will be able to see all the different dates that your computer has accumulated and stored up in your memory as restore points. You need to delete what you feel you don't need--that gave me alot of space back on D drive. Hope this helps.
Dianne

Thanks Dianne. I'm still working on this but have a question: It shows when I go to my disks that Recovery D has 5.02 mb free of 9.99 gbs. Bar as you can imagine is almost completely red. If I click on it the one that seems to take up all the space is MediaID in the BIN file. What is this file and can I safely delete it?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Do NOT try to delete your recovery partition. You might need it again.

As to compressing, people haven't compressed drives since Windows 95, and Maybe Windows 98. It's dangerous to do so, and there is no need to risk it since the price of an additional hard drive is so cheap.

Dianne Stiffler

Larrylintz, I do not have the answer for you about MediaID, if I have it, it is named something else, I have a Compaq Presario, not a Dell. I would ask Dell specifically about your problem and see if they can give you more help. Sorry I can't help and good luck. Dianne

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online