1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Low Disk Space Unable To Regain

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Steph1985, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steph1985

Steph1985 Thread Starter

I am operating a computer on Windows XP which has two disk drives installed on it.

The first of which (C:) is around 2/3 GB big.
    The second of which (D:) is around 15/16 GB big.

Windows and a heck of a lot of other programs have previously been installed on Drive C: up until we kept getting "Low Disk Space" balloon.

I did an Add/Remove programs until i was down to practically nothing on the list but had regained no disk space. I then went in to the C: drive and manually deleted practically everything.

Windows runs fine although i do still get ALL THE TIME this Low Disk Space message.

Drive D: i must mention has NIL on it.

I am currently unable to use any programs on the system and can not even perform a "Windows Update".

I can think myself of various things I could do to resolve this, such as reinstall everything on D: to use or even format the hard drive and reinstall absolutely everything.

I would PREFER to avoid this and as am only an IT beginner I would like to ask for anyone that can help that knows their stuff, to advise ME on what i should do, or even MUST do to be able to continue using this computer system.

I will answer any questions you need answered in order to give me the correct advice.

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Since d: is empty clone c: to d: then swap the drives phyically [just swap the cables going to them].

http://www.xxclone.com/

3. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

What Windows do you use: XP, 2000, Vista??
    2 or 3 gb of disk space is way too low to install any Windows OS which comes after windows 98, let alone a "heck lot of other programs". i'm surprised the "low disk Space" warning don't follow your first startup. i would recommend minimum of 5 gb to install XP barebones w/ drivers.
    if your hard disk drives are two physically separate drives, i would recomend you install your windows in Drive D. if my assumption is correct and you have one 20 GB hard disk drive partitioned into C and D (Check in your BIOS), then you'd better repartition you drive into 10 gb and 10 gb of C and D respectively and install you windows into drive C.

OTHERWISE
    if you plan on sticking to your current installation;
    1. install all your programs to drive D,
    2. Lower your page file, to do this right-click on "My Computer", select "properties", click on the "advanced" tab from the window that appear, click on "settings" under "performance". From the "performance options" window that appear,click on "change" under "virtual memory". from the window that appear select drive C and check on custom size, input you desired amount of space allocated for page file (800mb to 1gb would be appropriate considering your disk space).click on "set".

3. disable sleep mode or hybernation.

4. Steph1985

Steph1985 Thread Starter

** "I am operating a computer on Windows XP which has two disk drives installed on it." **

The first of which (C: is around 2/3 GB big.
    The second of which (D: is around 15/16 GB big.

You will have to pardon me for being so vague but i am not very technical minded, i prefer pen and paper but i need to sort this out lol.

5. Steph1985

Steph1985 Thread Starter

I have used xxclone and have cloned the drive.

As they are internal harddrives, how do I make D: now the main drive and the one that everything is done and saved to, so that now C: would be a back-up only??

Is there anyway I can delete or remove all information from C: drive as obviously I am still going to get "Low Disk Space" message.

Thanks for the help so far i have stopped coming close to tears with frustration!! :)

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You open up the computer case. You swap the data cables that connect to the drives. You then boot the new c: drive. Using xp, format what is now d: to use as available space.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice