1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Low FPS on Skyrim

Discussion in 'Games' started by ajkane, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

I have downloaded the latest patch for Skyrim and the latest drivers for my GPU, even so when I run Skyrim on low it is around 20 FPS, and 12 on ultra.

My specs are:
    CPU: Intel Pentium dual core E2220 @2.40 GHz (overclocked @2.81 GHz)
    MB: Foxconn MCP37M01H1
    RAM: 4Gb ddr2 @ 800 MHz (overclocked @ 936 MHz)
    HDD: 500Gb @7200 RPM
    GPU: Nvidia GT430 (3Gb VRAM, 1400 MHz, overclocked @ 1600 MHz)

GPU report: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/mp2q3/
    CPU report: (attached)
    DxDiag report: (attached)

Attached Files:

2. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

Also, I have tried mods that are supposed to increase FPS, it may be I need a new processor because when I am running Skyrim my CPU usage is always 100% even when it is overclocked @2.81 GHz, I find that outrageous that I would need better for low graphics setting but I do then I will buy a new one. I am looking into the intel core 2 quad QX9770, tell me if that would help if that is the case.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Things I would look at:

1) You are using a developement (beta) version of Windows 8.

2) You are using beta video drivers, have you tested with the certified ones? (I assume you updated to the beta ones due to the problem based on your post).

(with the above two both being beta software that alone could be part of the problem, neither of them are properly tried and tested).

3) Your CPU is 4 years old (from release) and is quite a bit behind the drag curve as far as processing power goes even overclocked.

Skyrim is a reasonably hardware intensive game. I am running a core i5, 4Gb RAM, Win 7 64bit and a GTX460 and I can run it comfortably maxed out. So, basically I just don't think your system as a whole is up to running Skyrim comfortably.

Your motherboard won't support a QX9770 as far as I can tell, the specs I can find for it are here. It appears to be a proprietary board made by Foxxconn for Hewlett Packard machines.

4. ajkane

ajkane Thread Starter

Thanks, that is what I thought, I need to upgrade my CPU. But I do know that I can run the QX9770, because the retail version of my MB can take it, just the MB was released before the core 2 quads were.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice