1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Low FPS/Stuttering in GTA V with a new GTX 960 4GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalfrenchtoast, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metalfrenchtoast

Metalfrenchtoast Thread Starter

Hello,

I just got a new GTX 960 4GB card, which I imagine should be able to at least handle the game on moderate settings, and am getting only 40-ish FPS on LOW settings, as well as stuttering. Not sure if this should go in the hardware section or what, so sorry if this is the wrong place. Not having the same issue with other games. Wiped the drivers clean with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled, no dice.

Anyway I just need some guidance to figure this out, not sure if I need to start testing hardware or what?

System specs:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: MSI
    System Model: MS-7693
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/08/13 16:03:23 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8158MB RAM
    Page File: 2352MB used, 7085MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

Video card is Nvidia GTX 960 4GB

2. wilson44512

wilson44512

3. Metalfrenchtoast

Only thing I "Failed" at on that page was my processor under "Recommended". I've looked at benchmark comparisons though and my processor isn't too far off, I don't see why that'd make such a big hit on performance.

4. wilson44512

wilson44512

5. Metalfrenchtoast

I doubt it's that since the same thing happens in single player and I've got a decent cable connection. Here's the result though http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4299912079

A friend of mine actually has the same processor as me and an HD-7850 videocard, says he gets pretty consistent 40 fps on middle settings, that is without having to turn everything completely down, as well as no stuttering.

6. wilson44512

wilson44512

WOW you call that decent? lol Hell thats faster then mine lol i have 30 MBs . so we know it aint that? lol your not on wireless are you? when you play? have you updated the drivers for your video card? do you have a lot of things running in the background?

7. Metalfrenchtoast

Nope, not on wireless, have up to date drivers, don't run things in background while playing the game.

8. wilson44512

wilson44512

see how it plays after you update drivers

9. Blu_86

Blu_86

Adding to that, see how it plays another few games. I would test it with BF4 single player (or BF3) and Far Cry 3 or 4 if you have these games see if you get the FPS you should be getting there. The goal being to see if it's game specific or if it's an actual hardware issue with the card, or perhaps a power supply issue. Something of that nature.

When you installed the GTX 960 4GB what card did you have before? If it was and AMD card and you did not remove drivers I have seen that be an issue with FPS changing over to nvidia.

10. Metalfrenchtoast

My previous card was a GTX 750 Ti, but even then I still wiped the drivers clean in safe mode with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled them clean.

Tried like you suggested and ran FC3 with graphics on ultra, was only getting like 25 fps. Turned down to very high, got a little over 30. Switched to high settings, hangs around 45 fps usually. Switching to Direct X 9.0 seemed to help, still getting stuttering though.

War Thunder seems to run just fine with graphics completely maxed out, no stuttering and it runs consistently at 60 fps.

Carmageddon: Reincarnation seems to run WORSE on the same settings I had it on with my GTX 750 Ti, but that could just be because it's a beta.

11. Metalfrenchtoast

Did some more testing this morning, seems like while running GTA V, even just standing there, my CPU usage is going all the way up to 100% @ 3.4ghz, while my GPU barely goes above 20% usage. Does this indicate my processor is just too whimpy?

12. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    What is the exact make, model, wattage and approximate age of your PSU? The GTX960 has higher power requirements that the 750Ti.

13. Metalfrenchtoast

It's a Thermaltake SMART 850 watt modular power supply, about a year and a half old. Also last night I noticed I'm getting stuttering in EVERYTHING now, this morning put my GTX 750 Ti back in. Guess what? Stutters!

Shouldn't 850w be more than enough to handle my system? Maybe faulty?

Just to be clear, I'm now getting stuttering even in games I can maintain a regular 60FPS in. I turned graphics settings down in War Thunder low enough for it to run at 120FPS with vsync off. Even at 60+ FPS I get a regular pause, a fraction of a second, about every second.

Maybe this thread should be moved to Hardware?

14. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hardware might be a good start, if it is happening across multiple games now. You can report the post yourself and request it be moved.

Some bits to start with:

- Run a full memory test using something like Memtest86.
    - I assume you are not overclocking anything? If you are, reset it back to stock speeds for diagnosis.
    - Download and install Speccy (its free). When you have run it upload the report (this can be done within speccy itself but cant remember exactly where the menu option is). Once done, post a link to the report in a reply here.

15. Metalfrenchtoast

Fortunately had the opportunity to swap out with a different CPU and test my machine with that, looking like that was the issue. Also installed a new CPU cooler. Everything's running fine now! Solved!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice