Solved: low gb available

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mardigrasvet

had virus. wiped clean and reran. installed avg first thing. ran disk cleanup and defrag twice. still tells me 24.66 gb is capacity but only 3.65 available. searched and read a few other questions. checked disk mgmt and three partitions and the figures given are listed for c:.

wiped everything off computer to stick so can't figure out where problem is. any clue?

thanks.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Sounds like the hard drive was not wiped after all. How did you wipe the drive, what steps did you perform?

mardigrasvet

i just inserted the disk i had into the drive and that was it. heaven forbid i have to start over again!

Triple6

First Name
Rob
If you want to format the drive you need to do more then just insert the disc. One of the screens allows you to delete partitions, format the existing partitions, or keep the current file system intact. You need to go through it again and read the screens carefully.

mardigrasvet

this is what the screen in disk mgt says: there are three lines at the top with

partition basic fat healthy(eisa) 55mb 48mb no
" " fat32 healthy(unknown) 3.22 282mb no
c: " " ntfs (system) 24.66gb 3.55gb no

the three blocks of info below have the same info in them. as you can tell, i have no idea what to do with this info.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Is this a brand name system, like an HP or Dell? Seems like your computer has a recovery partition on the hard drive.

Snagglegaster

Banned
I wouldn't write the drive off until I tried repairing it. You don't say what OS you are using on it, but I'd suggest booting from a Windows XP CD, then using the Recovery Console to run CHKDSK /R on the drive, starting with the C; partition. There's a pretty good tutorial here. There are some alternate repair methods, but I think this is probably the quickest and simplest.

mardigrasvet

i have a dell ispiron 6000. i use windows xp. i read the tutorial and it seems pretty simple. when i got to the end it, it told me to make the changes. what changes? are you saying i have two xp's, the old and the new, on my machine? how do i know which one to remove?

mardigrasvet

i tried the ctrl and f11 method but nothing happened. i kept the buttons pressed anyway and my signin appeared. signed in and kept pressing and nothing happened. tried to press the buttons as soon as it started up. then tried pressing f8 and eventually got a screen that gave me lots of options but nothing that looked like the restore which is described as a fairly simple thing to do.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
You have to press CTRL + F11 when you see the Dell Logo. However doing a reinstall may have damage the special Dell MBR so it may not longer work.

Try the Windows reinstall again but read the screens carefully so that you format the partition before doing the reinstall.

mardigrasvet

thanks for all your help. a fellow in my company's computer department offered to help me if i bring him the laptop. i do not want him to spend a whole lot of time on my personal stuff so could you offer an idea of how long it would take him to fix this problem?

i also looked at snagglegaster's rec and i think i could try that. but i am close to illiterate in these things and even the simple "format the partition" you suggested sounds to me like asking me to take domingo's place at the met!

your help is appreciated and your patience should be patented!

Triple6

First Name
Rob
A reinstall of Windows and drivers generally takes about 1 1/2 hours, you'll also want to install all the Windows Updates and install anti-virus software a well which can take another 1 hour.

mardigrasvet

using dell's tech support instructions, i tried to install the system again and paid very close attention to the screens. i even clicked on advanced at one prompt and said i wanted to format the partition. no prompt for that ever appeared so i just continued to click on install and eventually was told that another system was installed alrready on the partition with the most gb and that probs could ensue. continued and eventually told "setup is deleting existing windows installation."

again, no prompt to format and the computer wiz at my job, as you did too, said formatting will wipe out everything.

so computer still shows 16 gb used and 8 gb free. i save nothing to the computer, all on memory sticks so other than windows there is nothing else on the computer.

any ideas on how i can just tell the computer to format so it will be clean and then i can insert the reinstall cd again?

thanks. took me a while to do this because the laptop operated ok but slow and then it really slowed down so i knew i had to do something.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online