1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Low internet connection - N router + N dongle + 100mbps connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nafretiri, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nafretiri

Nafretiri Thread Starter

The title explains it pretty much...

But I have a Belkin N router, in the room above I have a desktop with a Belkin N stick.

I also have a 100mbps connection

The Windows Network and sharing centre says I have a 150.00 Mbps connection, signal stregnth low, status connected.

Any reason why the signal is low?

My download speed is very slow all of the time.

Any advice appreciated thanks :eek:(y)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The signal being low probably means one or more of

distance too great (not very likely),
    obstructions in the path from router to adapter (the desktop itself can be an obstruction),
    loose antenna(s),
    poor orientation of antennas -- the weakest signal is along the axis of a "stick" type antenna.

A nominal connection of 150 Mbps with N can mean a single 20 MHz channel is used instead of 40 MHz dual channels. Lower nominal connection speeds can be because of low signal or wireless interference.

Slow download speed can be because of low signal and/or wireless interference.

Of course, the router or adapter could also be defective. Or the router could need a firmware upgrade or the adapter need the latest driver.

3. Nafretiri

Nafretiri Thread Starter

Hmm thanks.

I only got them just before new year though.

It's a dongle that stands on the desk via usb stand, it's not plugged directly into the back of the pc so the only obstructions I can think of are the walls / floor?

4. Nafretiri

Nafretiri Thread Starter

Also, previously, I had a G router with an N+ stick which gave me alot lower Mbps, but the stregnth was alot better.

Which again I don't understand

(Thanks for your help by the way!)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, did you understand what I was trying to say about antenna orientation? If, for example, the Belkin router is directly above the adapter and the router's antennas are pointing straight up or down you should get a stronger signal if you move some or all the antennas to a horizontal position.

There can be an area in a wall or floor that has electrical wires or heating duct and is a much bigger obstruction than expected. Moving the router and/or adapter even a small distance sometimes makes a big difference.

6. Pep7

Pep7

I'm fairly new to doing wireless stuff, but could radio interference cause the client software to report poor signal strength? For example, neighbors also using equipment transmitting in the same band that your network is using.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, post a screen shot of the main window here, and identify which network is yours on the display.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe. In my experience the signal strength stays the same, but the interference can cause inability to connect, disconnects, or poor quality (resulting in slow downloads or file transfers).

9. Luck003

Luck003

Sounds like an ISP issue to me. At speedtest.net, what is your Download/Upload?

10. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Try placing the USB so it is laying flat on the desk or just plug it into the computers USB port so it sticks straight out.
    If the Belkin router has antennae set them horizontally. If the router stands on end, lay it flat.

The N speeds will only apply to connections from your computer to the router and to other computers on your LAN if they are connected by ethernet or wireless N. It will not increase your Internet speeds.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Low Wi-Fi signal strength between router and adapter sounds like an ISP issue? Please explain.

12. Nafretiri

Nafretiri Thread Starter

Results :

Attached Files:

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hammond is using your same channel (6). It doesn't seem strong enough to cause an issue, but since the only other network connected is using channel 4 I suggest to change your router to use channel 11 to play safe. (And check this output from time to time, because you never know when a neighbor may change channels or buy a new wireless router.)

14. Luck003

Luck003

Terry, I wasnt referring to signal strength, I was referring to the "My download speed is very slow all of the time." being an ISP issue. (for some reason it wont let me quote messages) I sometimes have a low signal on my wireless N network but it doesnt really seem to affect my connection speed. However I am on an unoccupied channel.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks, Luck003. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

That reminds me, Nafretiri; I don't think we've seen your response to the speed question. Speedtest.net is global. Speakeasy is good for US.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice