1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] low resources

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kelly32, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

I have tried everything, I went from a cable modem to dial up, cause we moved. I had cable for 6 yrs, and now trying to figure out what is causing my resources going to 1%. Can you please help me?

Thanks!
    Kelly Smith
    President- Angels for Hope
    In your travels if you know some one that is in need of a caring touch, is sick, dying, has lost someone to death please go to this web site
    http://www.angelsforhope.org and have an angel sent to them.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quotation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. The site provides a printer friendly link.

In the System Configuration Utility (SCU), you can uncheck programs you suspect one at a time and restart your computer. If something doesn't work right, you can always go back into the SCU and re-check it and restart your computer via the Start button. The changes are completely reversible by re-checking an item in SCU or by selecting Normal Startup under the General tab in the SCU and all the programs listed run when Windows starts as it was before you started.

3. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

Thank you Styxx, I tried this, and quicktime keeps coming back, even though I unchecked it. This is the only one I have a problem with. The rest look ok, but still gives me hardly enough resources.

Which I don't understand at all. I appreciate your help, but any other suggestions? I have 384 RAM, and I don't think I should have such low resources.

Thanks,
    Kelly Smith
    President- Angels for Hope
    In your travels if you know some one that is in need of a caring touch, is sick, dying, has lost someone to death please go to this web site
    http://www.angelsforhope.org and have an angel sent to them.

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Just uninstall Quicktime in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel and restart your computer. You have to restart your computer to see what your resources have changed to. 50% resources free is not a low number.

You never said what doing the above increased your computer's resources to. Please state what your resources are now.

Why don't you state what's in that System Configuration Utility Start list and I'll tell you what's safe to untick.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I suggest you use Hijack This's (HJT) 'fix' feature with caution. Fixing the wrong items with this utility can cause more computer problems than you already had. Only allow moderators to advise you on what to 'fix' with HJT.

Try these safer approaches too. Scan for virus, trojan or variant free at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Get, install update and run free Ad-aware (and its HexDump plug-in) from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

7. ~Candy~

Well, thanks for the plug for the moderators Styxx, but I haven't too many clues on those logs, however there is one moderator that does, but the guys that analyze the logs the BEST (excepting Rog, of course ;) hehe) are not moderators....they are just plain good :D

Look for dvk01, $teve, putasolution, flrman, NiteHawk, Tony Klein.....and there are others, so if I missed you guys, don't be sad ;)

8. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

Thanks so much, and I uninstalled quicktime, and now I have 43% resources. I appreciate it. So what should I do about the hijack. I think I used this once before when I was getting system errors, and Rog helped me with it.

I still think I should have more resources. I have 384 RAM and seems like I should have alot more resources then what I have.

Thanks again for all your help!

9. ~Candy~

Scan your system with it, then post your scan log here.

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Look for what else you can safely uninstall in Add/Remove Programs control panel. You must restart your computer to see Windows re-evaluate your free system resources every time you take an action to free resources. 43% of 384 Mb of RAM is 165.1 Mb free. Not that bad. Be sure to revisit the System Configuration Utility and untick what you don't need running again. You could post your Add/Remove Programs and System Configuration Utility's lists contents and the forum could evaluate those a lot better for you than the current no information at all.

You never said what the Housecall scan found.

11. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

Hi Styxx,

You said, "You could post your Add/Remove Programs and System Configuration Utility's lists contents and the forum could evaluate those a lot better for you than the current no information at all."

I am not sure how to do this, can you tell me how? Also housecall came up clean.

I am going to delete some more programs, but I think I use them all for now. I know I have a lot on my computer, but it is still have free, so not sure what else I can delete that I don't use.

Thanks again so much for all your help!

12. ~Candy~

Did we ever get a hijack this scan log???

To see what is running at startup, start, run, msinfo32 and enter, software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

13. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Here's how to easily post the programs loaded on your computer so the forum can advise you what can be uninstalled or not and you can post back what of that list you want to keep on your system.

Click the Start button; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; System Information; On the Left window click the plus sign beside Software Environment; highlight the Program Groups entry; On the right pane 'refreshed' window left-click once on the top entry keeping your left mouse button held dow and drag the mouse pointer to the bottom entry, highlighting all the entries blue; Then click the Edit menu; Point to Copy.

Then right-click and point to Paste on a Reply message body to this post.

14. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

msnmsgr Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /background
    E6TaskPanel Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK TOTALACCESS\TASKPANL.EXE" -winstart
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    CountrySelection Registry (Machine Run) pctptt.exe
    PTSNOOP Registry (Machine Run) ptsnoop.exe
    AVG_CC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
    EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    Avgserv9.exe Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe

15. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I don't see anything in there but Scheduling agent you could stop from running by right-clicking the Task Manager System Tray icon; Choosing Advanced and clicking to choose to stop using scheduled tasks. Or better,in the System Configuration Utility untick the box next to, 'Scheduling agent' - stopping as many applications from running ar Windows Startup frees resources as good as anything - getting the icons off your right Task-bar.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice