1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Low Virtual Memory?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Money Pit, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    I just had something pop up in the tool tray saying "windows was increasing my virtual memory". What is that about? :) Dave

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Windows is dynamically resizing your paging file... etc.

Means you may need a little more RAM to prevent paging slow downs.

Put another 512Mb in.

Alternatively you can use a fixed paging file if the resizing interrupts your working with the computer.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1011.html

Where it reads Windows 2000 just think Windows XP, as it the same for all practical purposes.

This article might also be of interest http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/11/23/defrag_pagefile.html

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You config indicates that you already have 512 installed.

When this message happens, what are you running?

Also, Spyware and viruses have been known to cause this symptom. Have you done a SpyBot/AdAware/Virus check?

4. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    WhitPhil: Sorry to take so long to answer this, it seems I wasn't notified in email of these responses. Anyway, YES I do have 512Mb of RAM. As to what I was doing at the time?, I think I was just reading my email? It's hard to remember but I know I wasn't running anything HUGE. I run AdAware & Spybot twice a week and Norton does a full system scan 3 times a week. I'm VERY cautious of spy ware and viruses and I keep a close eye in my machine in that regard. I believe I once read that anything over 512Mb of RAM was a waste but that was back in my old dial-up days? When this notice of windows increasing my virtual memory poped up in the tool tray, I clicked on it and I didn't see anything happen? Thanks :) Dave.

5. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

That is really total nonsense in this day and age, where even laptops are being sold with 1024Mb of RAM, and what could be termed street cred advice, if it wasn't for the fact that many so-called 'geeks' maximise their system RAM.

Adding RAM is the easiest way to gain added capability from your system.

XP can use up to 4 x 1024 (4ยท0Gb) of RAM if you have a use for it and the right motherboard.

6. WhitPhil

Did this message only appear once or does it continue to appear?

It "is" a warning and occurs because at that particular instance there was not adequate virtual memory and it was increased, and Windows etal, carried on.

7. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    WhitPhil: This warning only occurred once and windows carried on. I have talked to my tech people and they have advised me that I should ignore the warning as windows has all ready corrected the problem. We did discuss increasing my total RAM to 1024 at some pint. Any comments? Thanks :) Dave

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

9. WhitPhil

I agree with your techies.

As for the ram, your techs are in a good position to determine if you could benefit by installing more.

10. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    WhitPhil: Thank you :) Dave

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice