1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lower Icon bar is vertical now

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bacicat, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bacicat

Bacicat Thread Starter

Hi,
    The lower bar, where the time is and all those other icons used to be horizontal and now it's two columns and is taking up space when I'm online. I have no idea why this changed. How do I get it back to just a line.
    thanks

2. kniht

kniht

Left click on the bar and holding down on the left button drag the bar back to the bottom of the desktop.

3. Bacicat

Bacicat Thread Starter

I don't know what I'm trying to left click and drag. If I righ click a menu comes up..is there something on that menu that can fix it?

4. kniht

kniht

Does it look like either one of these attached files?

Attached Files:

• 2.gif
      2.gif
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.gif
      3.gif
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Claymore

Claymore

First, the "lower bar" is called a "Taskbar"
    Just to elaborate on what kniht said:
    Right-click on the Taskbar and make sure that 'Lock the Taskbar' is not checked.
    Close any open windows.
    Move your mouse to the top of the Taskbar. You should see a double arrow. With this double arrow showing, grab the top of the Taskbar with your left mouse button, and, holding down the button, drag the top of the Taskbar down to make a single row.

6. mtbird

mtbird

Click on the taskbar and hold down the mouse button. Drag the bar back down to the bottom of your screen. Let up on the button and it should stay there. As for being double.....place your cursor on the top edge of the bar, until it turns to a double arrow. Click and hold down the button. Drag it down to single height.

7. techdawg667

techdawg667

If those methods don't work, try right-clicking on an empty area of the task bar and uncheck "Lock the Taskbar". Then click and drag the taskbar to the bottom. Then, recheck "Lock the Taskbar" to keep it from moving ever again (or at least until some snoop does something)

8. Bacicat

Bacicat Thread Starter

No, it's still at the botton, But all the icons are to the right side in 2 columns - and this has made the area taller, and takes up space. There is nowhere to drag it to b/c it's already at the bottom of the screen. I just need to get the icons flat again.

thanks for all the help...I just have no clue how to fix it or how it happened.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

10. Bacicat

Bacicat Thread Starter

Thanks, that helped! I guess I needed some visuals.
    I was having a hard time finding exactly where to click to get the dbl arrows, then I was getting the wrong dble arrows, finally found the up/down, and it's fixed.

thanks for all your help!

11. techdawg667

techdawg667

tip: mark your threads solved when it is solved. Go to Thread Tools>Mark Solved near the top right corner of the webpage.

12. Bacicat

Bacicat Thread Starter

thanks!
    I went to edit and didn't see how to edit the title. Now I know.
    ..and I sent a small paypal donation.
    Thanks for all the help.:eek:

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice