[SOLVED] LPT1 Deleted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alntyr

My computer was jammed with viruses and after deleting them (with Symantec) I can no longer print and it appears that LPT1 no longer exists in the device manager.

Computer is a Dell OptiPlex running Windows 2000.
Printer is NEC Silentwriter 1760

Thanks for the help!

You'll have to enter the bios, change the parallel port settings to ECP/SPP and reboot, windows should detect and install it then.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
When the computer is first booting up you should see a screen that says Press f1 or DEL to enter setup. Its just around the time when the computer does its memory count. The parallel settings are usually in the Peripheral Settings. Make sure LTP1 is enabled.

hit f2 on the post, i.e. when the computer first starts to boot up, then look for the integrated peripherals - i think - find the parallel port settings

alntyr

i found integrated devises then parallel ports but the only option was to hit was ENTER which then displayed two things 1)Mode.....PS/2 and 2) I/O Address... 378b.

??????

highlight the mode sub-menu and hit enter or maybe it's the side-arrow or the -/+ keys, look at the bottom, i think the instructions are there to modify the mode, then choose ECP

alntyr

I was able to select ECP with the side menu (+) and rebooted but nothing changed. Still no LPT1 in device mgr and i tried to add new hardware but that didnt detect anything.

btw, thanks for the help!

anything listed under other devices by any chance??

just a thought - and very welcome

alntyr

there is an unknown device under other with a ? mark by it.

Location....on Intel(r) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller

Status..The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)....To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I attempted to install a driver from the wizard (incl. windows update) but nothing could be located.

alntyr

I just tried this and it didnt work. In my case LPT1 shows up on the port list, so i deleted it and added it per the instructions below. Reboot and still no lpt1 in device mgr. ughhhhhh

Use Regedt32 to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports

On the Edit menu, Add Value name <Port Name> as a type REG_SZ.
<Port Name> is the actual port such as LPT1: or COM3:.
In the String Editor, enter the correct value data.

NOTE: LPTx ports have a blank string.

alntyr

I don't have a CD for the motherboard (I do have the windows 2000 CD) and was unable to get to your web site (The page cannot be found).

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
In device manager, what's on IRQ 7? You may be able to see it easier by start, run, msinfo32 and enter, then hardware, IRQs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online