Solved: LPT1 to USB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Peachykeen

I have an old DOS program that has a batch file that dumps fonts to LPT1 and prints to LPT1. Now that I have no parallel ports, I tried the "net use..." command, but I get Error 67 (if I remember right) and the command isn't recognized.
Could it be because the shared printer name has a space and a set of parentheses?? I just named it what the computer calls it - OKI C610(PS)
Thanks for your help!
Peachy
Running Windows 7 Home premium

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Did you share the printer? You can have a space in the shared name by then you must use quotation around the the whole path and name.

Here's some examples if for example your computer is called Peachy-PC and and your printer share name is HP-Printer or HP Printer.

NET USE LPT1 \\Peachy-PC\HP-Printer /PERSISTENT:YES

NET USE LPT1 "\\Peachy-PC\HP Printer" /PERSISTENT:YES

To share your printer, right click on it, choose Printer Properties and go to the Sharing tab.

Peachykeen

Thanks so much! I'll try the quotation marks. I thought I shared the printer, but I'll check that.

Thanks again!

Peachykeen

Do I have to delete this command to use the printer with other programs?
Thanks!

Peachykeen

I still get error messages. I named the printer OKI C610 in the sharing tab of printer properties and put everything in quotation marks as suggested, but now I get the error:
"The network resource type is not correct"
This is a different error message, so I did something halfway right?? :)

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
What is your computer name?

What is the full command you are typing?

NET USE LPT1: /D removes the redirection, but that's not needed unless you want to redirect the same port somewhere else.
If you'll ever want to use a printer that's not DOS capable you may want to have a look at Printfil: http://www.printfil.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts