1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: lsass.exe and services.exe fail to initialize properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kcbcf, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kcbcf

kcbcf Thread Starter

I have a WinXP Pro machine that I just had to do a repair install of XP SP2. All works fine until I run windows updates. The first thing windows updates will do is update itself. But then it will not install any other updates. I found a forum on this and started the following services:
    regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Then I ran windows update again. This time I chose custom updates and started installing only a few updates at time to try to narrow down the offending one. When I got to the ones listed below and restarted my pc, I started getting errors that lsass.exe and services.exe failed to initialize properly (0xc0000096). Here are the last updates I installed:

Security updates for KB930178, KB931261, KB932168, KB925902, KB928255, KB928843, KB927802, KB924667, KB927779, KB918118, KB926436, KB923980

I am going to try another repair install and update up to KB930178 but would appreciate any assistance in determining why these updates cause the lsass.exe and services.exe errors when restarting after they are installed.

2. kcbcf

kcbcf Thread Starter

I've completed the repair install and narrowed the updates down to KB925902 or KB928255. Once these are installed, the lsass.exe and services.exe errors reoccur. Anyone with any ideas?

3. kcbcf

kcbcf Thread Starter

I have also ran AV and Spyware scans using AVG and Spysweeper. AVG did not find anything, Spysweeper found some tracking cookies and a few trojans that it quarantined successfully. Subsequent scans show nothing else left active.

4. kcbcf

kcbcf Thread Starter

I have isolated this to the security update KB928255. I have been able to install all the other windows updates but each time I install this one, I get the boot up errors. Any suggestions?

5. kcbcf

kcbcf Thread Starter

I received a reply from MS support regarding this issue and it resolved my problem. Here is their reply:

Since the situation, it's recommended we try to download and install it manually.

1. Please download the update to C:\ from the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A0-4E5A-4737-B9BF-1249F6683F4D&displaylang=en

2. Please follow the steps below to install it in Safe Mode.

How to enter Safe Mode

==================

1. Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured to boot multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.
    2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
    3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with Administrator privileges.

4. Please go to C:\ and double click the downloaded file to install it.

5. Restart the computer to test the result.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice