1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: MAC address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by remaja, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

hi I'm using a wireless connection with aztech router. the model is DSL600ew.

here's the drill
    I want to setup a MAC filter to only allow three computer to use my network and go on to the Internet. I tried that. what I did was typing my source MAC address and Destination address with the same address. and then put protocol as "any", and put allow.

I found out through my test that it didn't work. the computers where the MAC address wasn't listed in the firmware is still able to go online and use the network.

The reason I did this is to prevent any unknown person to use my network and I don't think the WEP encryption key is enough to hold.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

MAC filtering is easy to break through. WEP is better and WPA is even better. Don't bother with MAC filtering.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Far, far easier to break MAC address filtering than to break WEP. I claim that anybody with the knowledge and tools to break WEP eats MAC address filtering for breakfast. :)

Better to change your WEP hex keys frequently. Best to use WPA2 or WPA-PSK with a passphrase of at least 20 letters, numbers and special characters mixed.

4. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

but would it be better to have both MAC and WEP?

5. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

I was planning to have both MAC and WEP...
    well I can just forrget about it then.

I would like to ask about the SSID broadcast. how can I stop my broadcast of my SSID? I don't know how to maneuver around my firmware to disable my broadcast of SSID.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This time DoubleHelix beat me by far more than a minute so I'll just say "ditto." :)

There are several other ways to make your network harder for you to use; but wireless security means encryption.

8. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

thank you guys

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice