1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mac DSL all messed up

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jazztrumpet9, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jazztrumpet9

jazztrumpet9 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am relatively new to the Mac world and was having trouble with Mail. It was going offline, so I searched for a quick solution on Google. I found a forum that said to replace the DSL numbers with the ones provided. That way, Mail wouldn't go offline so much. So, I replaced the DSL numbers, and now my Airport won't access the Internet. The only way I'm on here is because of the Ethernet cable. Any ideas? I just need to get DSL numbers that work because for some reason, the DSL numbers I replaced won't come back. Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can't find a definition for "DSL number." Please tell us what it is.

3. jazztrumpet9

Shoot! NO I meant DNS, not DSL. Sorry! Domain Name System

I know I searched for an answer to my problems with Mail and found a forum not unlike this one. One post said to copy and paste the given DNS's into my own computer by going to System Preferences, Network, Advanced (Under Airport), DNS, and then enter the given DNS's in place of the ones already there. Now my Airport won't connect at all to the Internet.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why not just use the same DNS server(s) as you are using with ethernet? Anyhow, here is a list of free public DNS servers.

5. jazztrumpet9

I didn't think of using the same DNS servers as my ethernet. I know they were separate to begin with, but I copied those into the DNS for the Airport. Really, I don't know a thing about DNS's. This network stuff is above my head.

Anyway, after I put in the server numbers, I ran a diagnostic check on the Airport. It told me there was a problem with the DNS servers and offered to change the settings to use the default DNS servers I was using originally. I knew this was my goal, to get back to the original DNS's eventually. I knew after I replaced those numbers that I wouldn't be able to get them back, and I've been trying to figure it out since.

Still, thanks for the great help! It's working well now, and I will post again with issues if I can't sort them out first.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!