1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: machine was fine but copying and pasting freezes the machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pbman, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

I don't get it, all was great. This morning I was copying and pasting a movie file from folder to folder and instead of 50 seconds I get 9 minutes. Plus while it's in the paste mode the machine slows up and task manager isn't responding

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Copying and pasting a movie is a big job and remember the copy and paste procedure puts the whole movie into the clipboard before the pasting and it can be a load on the system of which we know nothing about becasue you have not posted any of the system specs yet.

3. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

Understood, but before today it was fine at a cut and paste rate of 45-50 seconds

4. bobhen

bobhen

Pbman, I am using XP Pro and have a similar problem. When I try to cut and paste or copy and paste, even a simple text file, my system freezes up. I cannot call up task manager either, and cannot restart my computer using normal shutdown procedures. The only thing I have found to do is to shut down my computer using the power button. When I restart the computer, the file is pasted and the "cut" file is gone.
    Anyone have any ideas? bobhen

5. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

tough one, but I found out in my case to try and scan disc the drive or possibly reformat it

6. bobhen

bobhen

Thanks, I will give it a try.
    benhen

7. bobhen

bobhen

None of the scanning worked, but Altha suggested trying a restore. For the first time in history, a restore worked for me. It solved my problem. Thanks for the ideas, Pbman.
    benhen

8. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

end result- I had to reformat the drive BUT

all you owners of the Intel acellerator, get any updates before you re-format

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice