1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Machine won't post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snarfblast, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snarfblast

snarfblast Thread Starter

Hello,

I think I'm pretty well screwed here. My main machine is having a pretty catastrophic issue. It's a Dell Inspiron from about 2 years ago. AMD Phenom X4, 4 gb RAM, win7x64, all that.

For a few days, it wouldn't post. After forcing a power down about 4-5 times, it would boot ok. Also tried unplugging and letting the charge go on the PSU. This did not have an effect, sometimes the machine would boot up afterwards, but sometimes not.

Fast forward to this morning, 12-15 tries, no post. I'm putting together an order for a new mobo, an ATX case (because Dell proprietary junk is a bummer), and some new RAM, then put the rest of the old gear in the new case. Now, is my problem on the Inspiron likely the motherboard, or bad RAM? Since it won't post I just assumed it's a fried mobo.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could be the motherboard or bad RAM, or bad video card or a faulty power supply. What exactly are the symptoms and behavior of the system when it doesn't post?

3. snarfblast

Power light goes on, I hear the CPU and GPU fans start up. Beyond that, nothing. Monitor gets no signal so it shuts off.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you have more then one stick of RAM, then try one at a time. Try a working power supply from another computer, same for the video card.

5. snarfblast

Wow, I'm really glad I took some more time and really did the work you suggested. Turns out I've got a bad RAM channel. Took everything out except one. Posted on all channels, until I put that one stick in the bad one. Thanks for the help!

I doubt anyone's really got the answer to this, but I'll just post it just in case: Does anyone know if an Inspiron mobo from 2009 will recognize 2 GB sticks of RAM while the others are 1 GB? I have to admit I don't know much of anything about RAM these days.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Whats the exact model number of the Dell Inspiron? I can look it, or you can if you enter the model on the Dell site or a memory site like www.crucial.com - 2GB per slot was pretty common in 2009 and you can mix sizes although most people will tell you its best to use identical sticks whenever possible.

7. snarfblast

Ok, cool. One more minor thing: My current RAM sticks all are PC2 6400U 666 (I assume that can be substituted with 667). Thing is all the 667 stuff I'm finding is PC2 5300. Which is the more important number to match?

Thanks!

Also, RAM is Hynix, Korean made.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    PC2-5300 is 667Mhz
    PC2-6400 is 800Mhz

If you are currently using 800Mhz memory then you should get more 800Mhz memory as using 667Mhz memory will result in all the memory slowing down to 667Mhz.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!