1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Macintosh Disk repair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hughv, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

Ibook G4 OS 10.
    This notebook was dropped, and the new mother was frantic about losing two years of baby pictures that hadn't been backed up.
    The machine wouldn't boot, according to her.
    The local Mac store told her that only a data recovery service could help her, about $2500.00
    I'm not a Mac guy, but I told her I'd take a look.
    The machine booted after a few minutes, much to my surprise, and I was able to copy most of her files to an external drive. This was tedious, as many folders contained damaged files that would halt the copying process.
    My question:
    Are there any disk utilities worth running on this HD that would provide a reliable machine in the end, or should I replace the drive and be done with it?
    The replacement procedure looks like a time-consuming process, and I'd like to avoid it, if possible.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Dropped drives, especially one that already shows some symptoms of distress, will never be right again. I wouldn't trust it, especially if being done for someone else. They then risk losing everything at any time.

3. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

I had a feeling you'd say that.
    Is this machine worth repairing at all? What's the chance of other damage?
    I see used Ibooks at $ 350.00, and this repair is going to cost about $200.00 plus.
    Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm not a MAC guy, and I'm not sure I'd trust the opinions of the shop that told you to spend $2500 without making the effort that you yourself did. Of course other things could be damaged, but the hard drive is the thing most likely to get damaged in a drop. If everything else seems to work, and the cost of a drive is not too high, it may be worth it.

On the other hand, if reliability is important, and the costs are comparable, maybe replacement is a better idea. But, as you know, those are decisions with no "right" answers that you guys will have to make. If you get the same model, you will at least have a cache of spare parts. :D

5. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice