1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mah Opera's dying

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BG-0, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

So, here's the thing. Recently (about after Opera 9.52 update), my Opera(or the websites, Youtube, whatever) seems to think that I don't have a Flash player installed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it many, many times, with no luck getting it to work. Anybody who knows how to get this working? I would love to use Opera for youtubing when I happen to want to do that. Firefox's fine usually, but I really like Opera more... :rolleyes:

2. luq

luq

what makes opera better for yt'ing? I think ff is just as good, specially with the tons of addons they have for media like youtube downloaders n stuff. Opera is probably more light-weight though.

btw try the usb version, it may work:
    http://www.opera-usb.com/operausben.htm

3. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

I just generally like Opera better, it's the original great browser to me. Firefox came about a few months ago and copied a lot of stuff from Opera. (saved tabs, passwords etc. I know these propably weren't first to appear in Opera, but anyways) And I don't like messing with addons. And I like the looks of Opera better. And it is more lightweight. (Although I have a quite good computer, it makes a difference with 25 tabs open.) I'll give the USB version a go.

4. davidryder

davidryder

Have you tried reinstalling Opera?

5. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Actually not, and propably won't, because I don't want to take even the slightest risk of losing my tabs, history and bookmarks. I know this is stupid and I could backup them somehow... Welcome to the forums, by the way. (y)

6. davidryder

davidryder

I only use Opera in Linux as FF is sooooo slow compared to Opera. In Windows, I prefer FF.

7. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Hmm. USBopera worked fine.
    Anyone know how I would go about backing up my personal data (wand, history, etc)? And would happen to willing to tell me? ;)

8. nessyguin

nessyguin

C/Docs and Settings/<accountname>/Application Data/Opera/Opera/profile .

Just overwrite the profile folder to the same directory on the new instal - and bear in mind there'll be a profile for each user account on the computer .

I also have a backup of my Opera profile stored on CD - I couldnt bear to lose 3 years of bookmarks etc (even though I hardly ever or never visit most of them lol ) .

9. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Are you sure that will save everything? I mean... There seems to be some stuff in the program files folder too, that could have an effect on something..

10. nessyguin

nessyguin

You'd lose the plug-ins which is why you want to back up in this instance anyway . Other than that I've always successfully restored my settings with the profile folder and I dont see anything in the prog files other than plug-ins that might need to be saved .

If you are in any doubt back the lot up anyway (including App Data for default user etc) for peace of mind :)

11. luq

luq

yay! my suggestion worked ;)..

yeah take that directory, and in the usb version, the profile is in the same folder as the exe.

12. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Hmmh. A reinstall didn't help. I think I'll uninstall, clean the registry with 2 diff. tools and then reinstall. :(

:) I'm a distinguished member. :p

13. luq

luq

oh why dont u just use the usb opera?

14. nessyguin

nessyguin

Congratulations on the Big 2K (y) :D

15. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Because I want this to work. If I didn't, I'd just use firefox. ... I'm getting frustrated. Uninstall, double registry sweep, reboot, reinstall of Opera, reinstall of flash plugin... Nothing. Exactly the same thing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/766737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice