1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mail Accounts - MS Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by adrianthomas, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adrianthomas

adrianthomas Thread Starter

I had Outlook 2003 set up with two different mail accounts. One was a work account that I set up as an Exchange Server account so I could share calendar, contacts and all email folders.

When I purchased a new laptop and migrated programs / data from and XP machine to the new Windows 7 machine I noticed that my work account had been converted to a pop3 account and no long enabled calendar sharing, sent folders, etc. and I could no longer send emails.

I'd like to be able to have another Email Account so I can set it up in Exchange format, but I can not figure out how to do that in Windows 7.

When I try to start Windows Mail from Programs menu it is missing. I assume this is due to an answer I gave during set up which leads me to believe Outlook 2003 is not wholly compatible with Windows Mail.

If I want to continue to use OL2003 with Windows 7 should I just bite the bullet and set up my work account as a pop3 account, or is there a way to create a new mail account that I can set up in MS Exchange Server.

Thx

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Exchange is a back-end server application. You can only set up Outlook to check an Exchange account if an Exchange account actually exists.

3. adrianthomas

Thanks for the response but I guess I'm not tech savvy enough to understand your comment.

On my XP machine I'm able to create a Mail Account from the Control Panel that is an MS Exchange account, not a Pop3, IMap or other.

On my Windows 7 machine I don't see a way to create a Mail Account from the Control Panel.

This is required as OL2003 will not let you create an Exchange-type account while OL2003 is open so it has to be set up from the Control Panel.

I hope I'm making sense. Thanks in advance for any answers.

4. valis

valis Moderator

exchange is usually used on a domain (albeit not always). Is your new computer connected to a work domain, or is it still in workgroup?

Once you start outlook from the MS Office app (be it 2003 or 2010), you will be prompted to set up an exchange account with a known exchange server. For instance, at my old job it was HouEX01, short for Houston Exchange Server 01. You point the pc to that server and input a name that that server has in it's database, it will do the rest for you.

BUT you have to be on the domain to do that.

5. adrianthomas

The XP machine which still works (i.e. is able to connect to the exchange server) is a home computer. If you go to Control Panel > Mail > E-mail Accounts > Add a new e-mail account > here you can choose "Microsoft Exchange Server" as an "account type".

Yes, you can do the same within Outlook, but it will not allow you to set up a "Microsoft Exchange Server" type of account while OL is open. Outlook must be closed to do it. This is why you have to go through the Control Panel.

The Windows 7 machine (a new Inspiron laptop) is also a home/kids/work machine, but as far as I can tell there is no way to set up a Mail Account through the Control Panel.

6. valis

valis Moderator

it should just be the same; go to control panel > mail > set up account. I'm not at my W7 rig, but I will check it on the morrow.

7. adrianthomas

Bingo! I had the Control Panel display set in View By Category. The Mail icon could not be found by Category. When I switched to View By Large Icon (upper right hand corner) I was able to find the Mail icon.

Thanks

8. valis

valis Moderator

de nada.....glad it got sorted. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!