Solved: Mail Merge Nightmare (Word 2010)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi all,
I'm attempting to create a mail merge in 2010 with multiple records merging into a table on one page. I've tried a couple of options:

1. Use the "Next Record" rule. This works in the first row, but the merge reads left to right so when it gets to the next row, it's screwed up. I can't find a way to tell it to read down the column and then move to the next record instead of reading across the row.
  2. Merge to a directory. I can create a table with one column, but when I merge to the directory, it stacks the columns on top of each other. There will only be three records for each page, so even if I use a three column layout, there's enough room to stack the columns instead of showing them side by side. Also, since there's so much other data on the page, there's no good way to fit the merge to a directory information within it.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm attaching a sample document and the cells in yellow are the ones I need to merge. Thanks.

Attachments

Nevermind, I see what you are trying to do. I am not sure how you would approach this since it is not your typical mail merge.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Yeah, I'm not sure either. The closest I've been able to get is to just merge to a directory and then copy and paste the three sets of cells into my Word form. But I was hoping to be able to automate it more.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Well, I'm going to mark this solved because I gave up. I decided to convert it to an Excel form with a drop down list instead of using the mail merge. It ended up working better for my purposes because I could automate some of the calculations that would have been too complex for Word, but I'm still annoyed that Word doesn't have a way to do it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online