1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mailer Daamon

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Spacecowboy2005, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spacecowboy2005

Spacecowboy2005 Thread Starter

Hi I'm new here so I hope i'm posting in the right place
    I have a user who every 3 minutes receives a mailer demon message.
    We've run anti virus and spyware scans. I've tried running the user in safe mode
    yet the messages keep on appearing.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

Here is the message:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
    SMTP error: 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown

Can anyone offer any advice

Thanks

2. draceplace

draceplace

How is email configured? Are you running an exhange server, what version? The fix is not likely on the local pc. You can make a rule to auto/delete until permanent solution is found...

3. Spacecowboy2005

Thanks for the reply;
    Yeah its running through exchange server 2003.
    As a tempory fix i've already set up an auto delete rule.

4. draceplace

draceplace

Is this message coming from your exchange or remotely. If its not your server you will need to blacklist the sender in exchange or other mail filter. If it is your exchange look around for queued messages and event errors on the server. You probably won't find anything. Stop and Start exchange services or a reboot (after work hours is best) will usually will flush this

I contacted a sender who's exchange was in a loop of somekind and kept resending an email to us and explained. They did nothing and I blocked their whole domain and explained to my superiors I consider it an 'attack' they finally fixed the issue and I opened our exchange back to them.

5. Spacecowboy2005

I have to admit i'm not sure where its coming from. I'm not the biggest Exchange buff, but I belive its being generated outside of our domain (Received: from Gate7.gate.sat.mlsrvr.com)
    I'm just a bit thrown by the @localhost.
    If it is as i suspect being sent from outside how do i go about blocking the domain? Is it as simple as adding the address to the sender filtering list?

Thanks again for your help

6. draceplace

draceplace

I guess your system could be repeatedly trying to send there and they keep returning this message. This appears to be a mail service in the US that host several domains..
    http://www.robtex.com/dns/gate.sat.mlsrvr.com.html
    IP resolves to 66.216.121.101 reverse 101.121.216.66.in-addr.arpa. PTR 86400 gate.sat.emailsrvr.com.

When I was doing exchange we used a 3rd party filter but your simple solution is worth a try.

This is possibly spoofed and a spam address harvester is screwed up. But regardless you want it stopped.

7. Spacecowboy2005

Well i've added *@123greetings.biz and *@mlsrvr.com to our sender filtering list but that doesn't seem to have worked.

Not really sure what to do; but as you say i want it stopped!!

Thanks

8. draceplace

draceplace

If your exchange server is the first thing that sees the email this should work. If it come thru other spam filters or dmz type thing your exchange server sees every thing as coming from there.

Here MS link that explains some options. you might want to use IP rather than domain or both...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823866

9. Spacecowboy2005

Not sure what fixed it exactly but the user is no longer receiving those mails.

Thanks

10. draceplace

draceplace

A win is a win!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice