1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Major BSOD issue in XP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by danneax, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danneax

danneax Thread Starter

Hi!

I've got a major problem with my almost brand new computer. I had a firm put it togehter for me and I got it about a month ago. It's a pretty powerful machine with an Intel Duo Core2 processor, 4 gb RAM and a nvidia 8800 gts graphics card.

Since the computer arrived everthing has been running smoothly with no other problems apart from the fact that it refused to shut down the first two days... but since this problem disappeared and has never reoccured I haven't been bothered by it. But now today something VERY strange suddenly starts happening!

Suddenly whenever i try to open a video file in any application such as VLC or MPclassic I instantly get a blue screen of death and my computer reboots. The same thing happens whenever i try to start any game i have installed on the computer.

This is something that just seems so wierd since I mainly use this computer for gaming and graphical work in photoshop and various 3d applications. And hardly anything else (I've kept it very nice and tidy) I have a brand new firewall and virus protection and I haven't downloaded anything strange...

Could someonte PLEASE help me out here?! I've got a brand new, top of the notch machine... and I cant use it :mad: It's eating me alive!

I would really appreciate any help!
    Thanks!

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

By the way, welcome to the TSG forums...

Does the BSOD occur when you open Photoshop or any other 3D apps? If not, does it happen at ANY other time, or ONLY when you try to view video files, or run a game? What is the STOP ERROR message you see when the system blue-screens? Post some details for us, so we can help you track this down... copy the details of the BSOD, post them here, and with any luck, we'll help you find a solution...

3. danneax

danneax Thread Starter

Hi again and thanks for the reply.

To answer your question: I can successfully open Photoshop and any 3d app such as Zbrush 3.0. I have also noticed that the crash occurs when I try to watch film clips on the internet on pages such as youtube. This seems to happen at random since it's not happening everytime. The same goes for opening videos and games in Windows. I have occationally managed to successfully run games such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R and even videos in my video apps. Although the ratio for it to fail and result in a system crash is a lot higher then for it to work.

Since my BSOD is in swedish I'll make a quick translation here:

A problem has ben detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen

appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly intalled. If this is a new installation ask

your hardware or software manufacturer if you need special files for Windows.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory

options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components,

restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000016, 0x0000001C, 0x00000000, 0x80502392)

Starting dumping of physical memory.

Dumping of the physical memory is done. Contact the system administrator or technical support if you need help.

I really appreciate your help in this matter. My knowledge in computers are quite limited so it's great being able to ask others for help:)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It may be a hardware fault -- ram or motherboard; start considering your warranty options in any case.

However >

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

5. shankey

shankey

Try updating directX. VLC and MPC both run on directX completely. Update directX from the MS website. (Free from Viruses)...
    Hope this helps(y)

6. danneax

danneax Thread Starter

Here is the zip file you asked for. It contains my entire Minidump folder. I hope this is what you asked for. I hope it'll be of any use:)

Attached Files:

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Well, you're in good hands now, so I'll step aside while you guys work this out. I downloaded your .ZIP file so I can poke through it; I have no doubts you will soon have this problem resolved, with the help of Rollin' Rog...

9. danneax

danneax Thread Starter

Ok... so if i understand this right there's something wierd going on with my graphics card? The driver for my graphics card? I'm sorry but I'm not really that experienced with these sorts of things :p It just seems strange to me that all this starts happening without any warning. The computer has been working perfectly since I got it. Does anybody have a clue what might have triggered something like this?

I've got about 11 months left on the warranty for the computer, but the thing is that bought the graphics card separately from a different dealer and had the guys who built my computer install it. If there's something wrong with the card... well let's just hope not:(

10. peterdiva

peterdiva

Uninstalling the ASUS enhanced video drivers will solve your problem. They're known to cause problems and you probably don't even use them.

You've also got two AV programs running, you should only have one.

11. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Actually, Rollin' Rog provided a link to a Google search to help you understand that one file, named "atkosdmini.dll", is probably at the root of your problems.

I don't know if this advice will apply to YOUR system, since I don't know what specific hardware you have installed, or which drivers you're system uses, BUT... try this:

FIRST, download the newest version of your graphics card driver. Updating the videocard driver with the latest version might resolve this issue for you. If that doesn't solve the problem, let us know. Be SURE to uninstall your video driver as recommended by the chip maker, whether nVidia or ATI...

Remember, after you UNinstall the existing drivers, you MUST reboot the system BEFORE you try to install the NEW drivers. DO NOT TRY TO AVOID REBOOTING; Windows does a LOT of housekeeping during reboots, deleting old files and installing new ones, so be SURE to reboot whenever indicated...

Download the new drivers BEFORE you uninstall the existing drivers, so you will have them safe on the HDD. Save the new file to the Desktop, where it will be easy to find when you're ready to install the new drivers...

OK, just noticed that someone else has provided the same basic advice while I was still typing this... Good luck; post if you have questions...

12. danneax

danneax Thread Starter

Ok... I'll probably do as you suggest, but at first I think I'd better contact the guys who put my computer together. I'll give them a call first thing in the morning since it'll be monday and they'll be at work. Hopefully they will be able to fix this thing since I still have my warranty.If they wont, I'll do as you said...

I really appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me! I'll post back as soon as I know how things turn out. Again, thanks for all the help!

13. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Sounds like a good plan to me; if the "fix-it" guys don't give you VERY similar advice to what you've received here, you might want to show them this thread, so they'll know what research has already been done about this. I REALLY doubt that the videocard has any problems, because ALL indications are that a single file on the system is causing conflicts with the driver package...

Good luck; keep us posted...

14. danneax

danneax Thread Starter

Ok...so I just gave the guys a call and they basically told me the same thing as you did :rolleyes: They said I was to simply download the latest driver for the 8 series cards on nvidia.com and install that. I asked him if I had to uninstall the driver i have now before I install the new one and they said no. I guess I'll do as they said since I'm just following their advice. If something blows up, I guess I can blam them :p

So I'll try it and post my results. Maybe the intallation itself will give me further instructions...

15. danneax

danneax Thread Starter

Okay... I first did as he told me. I simply downloaded the new drivers and installed them and restarted the computer. Still not working. So I followed your advice and uninstalled all drivers for my card. Then i rebooted and installed the new drivers. Rebooted again and... still nothing:mad: Now the guy at Partman Nordic where I bought my computer tells me that what's left for me to do is to reinstall my entire OS. Which of course means deleting my hard drive:( They could help me with it fore the mere cost of aprox. 100 bucks. This just feels so WRONG! I mean I bought the computer a month ago. And then something happens and not even the warranty covers it.

I guess I could try to reinstall Windows myself, but since it's something I've never done... well let's just say I don't have a single clue about how it's done. Maybe I should start searching the Internet for walkthroughs or something...

I'm sorry if I sound a bit angry... It's just... well, I guess you know...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice