1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Major HDD gixer / Win7 won't get past loading screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by medvesajt, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medvesajt

medvesajt Thread Starter

So I have 2 HDDs, 100GB and 150GB in one computer, and about 2 months ago I installed a new copy of Widows 7 64 bit on the bigger one, it worked fine until now, but there was a rather strange thing, at startup, Windows listed 2 operating systems, though I only installed one, and formatted both HDDs before. Only the second OS booted. Other than that, it worked just fine.
    But recently I can't start up the PC, it won't get past the loading screen "Starting Windows", and after a couple of restarts, it becomes incredibly slow, stays at the motherboard's status screen for like 2 minutes, then instead of the loading screen, I'm getting the error code 0xc000000e.

I tried using the Windows disc, it only works when I unplug the smaller HDD, it found both Windows installations, but it still couldn't recognize where they were installed, so after I unplugged it I ran a startup repair, it succeeded, but didn't solve the problem. Also tried unplugging all peripherials except power, monitor, and keyboard.
    I tried resetting to default in BIOS, it only resulted my smaller HDD getting unrecognized. I checked the cables, they're OK, but I noticed that if I unplug the smaller HDD, I always end up with 0xc000000e. I can get the 100GB one listed in BIOS, but only if I unplug the other one, and the Windows installer still won't recognize it... and so on.
    It's like they can't get separated.

Also, I can't start up in safe mode either, immediately get the above error as I press F8.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Were both HDD's connected during the OS install? Sounds like there are system files on both drives, which can occur if multiple HDD's are connected during install, especially if the drive in which the OS is installed is not the primary IDE drive, or the 1st SATA drive (although this issue typically only occurs with IDE drives).

In any case, I'd suspect there is a hardware issue. Could be as simple as a faulty cable, one of the drives is failing, or other hardware such as the motherboard or power supply. I would start by testing each of the HDD's. You can use the manufacturers disk tools to test the drives. The software is available from the manufacturers website. You can connect and test the drives in another PC, or connect a single drive at a time and use the manufacturers DOS bootable version of the software.

3. medvesajt

medvesajt Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,
    Yes, I had both drives connected during the previous install, so probably that's why I had 2 OS's.
    I ran the testing tools on both HDD's, and it failed on the smaller one, giving me an error about some hutil.exe

Now I'm positive that the problem is one of my HDD's: I've been puling my hair out because of this crap so I decided to do a full reinstall, I tried to format the problematic drive and ended up with freezes and crashes, the windows installer recognizes it like only 1 out of 10 times, (like there's some kind of contact issue, even though the cables are good) and even when it does, it suggests that I use another drive for the install, because "it might fail soon".

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the drive is not consistently recognized by the motherboard, it is very likely faulty. In which case, replace it. No reason to mess around trying to use it when it apparently has a problem.

Also, regardless of whether you decide to use that drive or not. Only connect the primary (ie: "C:") drive during the OS installation. After Windows is up and running, then connect any other drives.

5. medvesajt

medvesajt Thread Starter

I guess I'll just replace it then. Thanks for your time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice