Solved: Make host printer as ip printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kuzhanthaivelu

Hai Guys,
Gud Morning to eveybody....!

Here i have an HP Lasejet printer as installed in my one of client pc. that doesnot have an Network ports. I want to assign a IP for that by using that client pc. Is it possible or not? If possible means How?

Kindly help me.!:)

You can use the PC the laserjet printer is connected to in order to make a print share. You cannot give the printer a direct IP using the PC it is attached to. Also note that anytime anyone wants to print to this printer if you have the share on the PC the PC has to be on.

If you can describe what your wanting a bit clearer I can give you instructions on what is needed. Are you looking to use this printer by a number of computers and not rely on the PC being on?

kuzhanthaivelu

Hi StumpedTechy,

That is ok for get share for other users to use that printer what i am installed as host printer if shared.

My Question is : Is there any way to assign a IP by using pc network directly to that usb cable on which connected in my pc.

Thanks,
Kuzhanthaivelu.P.

techkid

David
From what you are asking, there are two solutions:

1. a) The free solution is to share the printer across the network. On the computer with the connected printer, go to Start > Printers and Faxes. Right-click on the printer you want to share, and click 'Sharing...'. On the screen that appears, select "Share this printer". Give it a name you would recognise, and OK these options.

b) The other thing you need to do here is get your computer name. Right-click My Computer > Properties, and click the 'Computer name' tab. Your computer name is found next to 'Full computer name:'

c) Now for the other computer(s). Turn on your printer. On the second computer, open 'Printers and Faxes', then select 'Add Printer'. Click 'Next' on the introductory screen, then on the next screen select to set up "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer", and click 'Next'. Select the option "Connect to this printer..." and type in the computer and printer name in this manner:

\\computername\printername

A warning will appear saying it will install the drivers for the printer. Click 'Yes' to continue. You may be asked if this is your default printer. Select 'Yes' if you want to print to this printer automatically, and then finish.

The problem with this approach is that the computer needs to be turned on and logged in for this to work. Also, if you are running Windows XP Pro, you need to have either the same user account on all computers, or create/use a password protected account to connect to the computer.

2. The other (and slightly costly) approach is to buy a router with a USB print server. Instead of connecting to an existing computer, you connect to a router which you can choose to leave on. I'm pretty sure the steps to connect to the printer are the same as above (you'd have to check the manual to be sure).

techkid

David
It might be the way I interpreted the question, but it seems that you are asking to assign an IP address to a USB printer.

In and of itself, the answer is no. USB devices cannot be assigned an IP address because it is a completely separate thing to networking. The best you can hope for is to share the device, either through an existing computer connection, or through a router with USB capabilities.

Only business-class printers, like the more expensive laser printers, can have an IP address assigned directly to them, because they have network cards built in to the system. But they are on the order of several thousand dollars.

im having hte same problem... except my otehr computer can't recognize that there is a printer on the network....

techkid

David
exilegod: It's not really good manners to post your own problem within another user's thread. It's best to start your own thread, so that:

1. Those who are assisting you can better dedicate their time to helping you, and
2. You have an easier time going through our responses without having to cross-reference what's for the other user.

kuzhanthaivelu

Hello,

This is not other thread.

This is my own problem facing in my current concern. So that i submit this as a thread in here.

From like you & others i can get more tips for solving my concern it problems with the help of TechGuy.

Do you feel anything as wrong in my question or the way of express?

techkid

David
Sorry, I was talking to exilegod, the other user with a different problem.

I was just saying to them to start a new thread for their problem, instead of going through your message to get their problem noticed. Sorry for any confusion, kuzhanthaivelu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online