Solved: Make remote printer appear as a local USB printer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
We have a Canon iP3500 connected to a desktop running XP Home SP2. The desktop connects wirelessly to our router. I have laptop running Vista Basic SP1 with a wired connection to the router. The printer is shared and almost all programs running on the laptop can print to the iP3500 with no problem.

One of the software packages that came with the printer, "Canon Easy PhotoPrint EX", installed with no problem on the laptop. When I try to run the program, a pop-up box reports "Printing cannot be executed because a printer supported by the software is not installed." I can click OK to continue running the program but can not print anything. Canon tech support has confirmed that the software does not support a shared Canon printer on another computer.

I had thought I had come across a utility over a year ago (before we purchased the printer) that would map a shared printer on another computer to appear as a local USB connected printer. Trying to use Google to find the program is giving me way too many hits on web pages with discussions on general USB printer sharing issues on networked computers.

Does anybody know of such a program and provide a link please?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The only way I know of is using the Belkin Network USB Hub to connect it as a network printer. This makes the printer appear as a USB connected printer on all the machines.

I have a package that I got as an MVP, the FabulaTech USB over Network that also claims to do this, but I haven't actually tried it.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
John, thank you for the Fabula link. $149.00 is a bit beyond my budget for a function I may only need to use a few times a year. Your mentioning getting it for free as an MVP made me think of where I may have seen a free version of a similar program. It might have been included as a free utility on some computer magazine cover disc. I am going to have to go through my collection of cover discs and see if I can find it.

I am going to mark this thread solved and hope I can find the disc.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The Belkin Network USB Hub is cheaper than the package. :D I confess I didn't even check the price, that is pretty expensive for the functionality, you could just buy another printer! :D

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The Belkin F5L009 is looking like a much better choice. It may also solve a minor problem when trying to print when the desktop hosting the printer is turned off.

Have you used the Belkin F5L009? If so, I have three what I hope are easy questions.

The page in your link does not mention if the wireless supports any kind of encryption. Does it support WPA-PSK?

The system requirements section in the link lists, "PC-compatible computer with one available 32-bit slot Windows XP or Vista (32bit)". Does some kind of PCI card need to be used with what appears to be a stand alone product?

Can the one RJ45 port be used to provide wireless networking for a desktop computer hardwired to that port or can it only be used to replace a wireless link to the router? Right now, the desktop is using an 802.11g USB dongle to connect to the router.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The Belkin hub is a wired only device, so encryption is a moot point. :D

You simply connect it to your router with a cable and then connect the devices to it with USB connections. I've used it with printers, scanners, webcams and hard disks.

The only downside is that it's not that speedy with hard disks, I get about 4mbyte/sec transfers. For printers and scanners, it works just fine, and the webcam worked normally connected to the hub.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thank-you for the clarification. When I quickly read through the page, I noticed these items in the product description ...

"A wireless router is required to use this product wirelessly"

and

"Works with existing wireless network— wireless router NOT included"

I had thought it meant the unit provided a wireless connection to your network if the existing network included wireless support. That kills it as a simple solution for my situation. There is no Ethernet cable running to the location that has the desktop and USB connected printer. The desktop uses a USB WiFi dongle for a wireless connection to the LAN

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I guess you need a wireless bridge and the Belkin hub. :D

I think the networked printer is the right choice here. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online