1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Make Search Companion default Windows Search

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SunLaker, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SunLaker

SunLaker Thread Starter

Using Windows XP Pro SP3. When I click Start Search, WindowsSearch comes up and I have to click use Search Companion at the bottom of the window. I want to have Seach Companion come up when I click Search without having to open the 2nd window. Many computers I work with come up with Search Companion as the default. I have not been able to locate the file that opens Search Companion.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Do you have Windows Search installed on your computer? You can get rid of that useless system resource hog pushed by Windows Update by uninstalling it from "Add or remove programs".

Another way is to click Start > Run > type services.msc

Locate the Windows Search service. Stop and Disable it.

If that's not enough, locate the Indexing service and make sure it's Stopped and Disabled too.

How to reinstate Windows XP Search Companion after you install Windows Desktop Search

How To Configure the Search Companion in Windows XP

3. SunLaker

SunLaker Thread Starter

I tried two of the suggestions that appeared in the email I received. I disabled the service in services.msc and also changed the value in the DS folder from 1 to 0. I rebooted after each change and neither suggestion worked. Then I discovered I could just go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Windows Search and that did the trick.:)

4. Phantom010

You're welcome!

5. SunLaker

SunLaker Thread Starter

I'm sorry, Phantom, I didn't actually say "thank you" but I meant to. I am so happy to have this opportunity to interact with people who actually know something. I appreciate all of you.;)

6. Phantom010

Didn't even noticed you hadn't said thank you. :D It's a habit of mine I guess. :)

Glad I could help! (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice