1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Making back-up copy of program

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Whittibo, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

I just bought a very expensive program, my kids have to use it for school, thing is, there's the install disk, then the program disk. I want to make a backup copy because my girls have to pass it back and forth to use it on their own computers, and I just know it's going to get scratched/ruined and I don't want to have to replace it at $329 again.

I put the CD-Rom into my laptop, clicked on the CD-rom and hit copy. Then I put a new CD-RW into my computer, clicked on it, hit paste and it took FOREVER (like 20-30 minutes maybe) to copy all the files. When it said it was done, there was nothing on the new disk.

I erased the disk because it said that only five hundred some odd MB were used out of 700, but nothing shows up. So I am trying to paste again.

Am I doing something wrong?? Is there some trick to copying a program CD? I have copied Audio CD's for our car before, and never had a problem. :s

2. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

The second attempt failed too.

Says 518 MB are free, which is weird.

When you click on it, it says to drag files over there. Should I try it on my other computer that has a CD and DVD drive. My laptop only has one drive.

3. stantley

stantley

What kind of CD burning software do you have? What you want to do is make an image of the original CD and then burn that image to a blank CD. Most burning software has a direct CD to CD copy function, which creates and burns an image.

It will work even if you only have one CD burner, you put in the original and then it will prompt you to put in the blank. Also it would be better to use a CD-R than an RW, they're a little more reliable.

4. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

Oh... so I can't just copy/paste then like I could music cd's. :s

I haven't a clue what software I have. I know I had some "good ones" for burning DVD's on my old computer (still have the disks I can install here on my laptop) but I don't have anything other then what came on this laptop.

I just looked and I don't see anything other then things like InterVideo Win DVD, DVD Movie Factory for Toshiba, Windows DVD maker. Is there something I can download that will do this?

I have CD-R's somewhere in this house, I'll go dig for them, or buy new ones. Ultimately I would like to make 2 copies, one to have at each computer and I can put the original away! Scares the daylights out of me having my kids pass a $300+ disk back and forth. :(

5. stantley

stantley

Some burning programs that are pre-installed are Sonic, Roxio and Nero. Those will all do a direct CD to CD copy.

If you don't have any of those try CDBurnerXP, it's a good freeware burner.

6. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

I looked for the Sonic, Roxio and Nero, and I don't have any of them on this laptop so I downloaded he CDBurnerXP. Thanks for that!

I have it installed and am ready to try this again. I found some CD-R discs. I think I got these at BigLots a long time ago, and if I am correct, some had errors with them, so I'll try them, if they don't work, I'll go get some new ones.

So I opened the program, do I want to do the BURN ISO IMAGE???

7. stantley

stantley

I don't have CDBurnerXP so I'm not sure if it has direct CD to CD copy, but look for that first.

If not then you do it in 2 steps. First create an iso file on your hard drive from the original disc, then burn that iso file to a blank CD.

You could use a CD-RW to test it out, if it doesn't work you can erase the whole disc and try again. Once you get it working then burn a CD-R.

8. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

My choices are

Data Disc
    Audio Disc
    Burn ISO Image
    Copy Disc
    Erase Disc

So I want COPY DISC?

9. stantley

stantley

Copy disc, yes.

10. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

OK, under copy, I now have two choices, AUDIO and DATA. I am assuming DATA?! But there's audio on this disc too. It's a Spanish language software, if that helps any. :s

11. stantley

stantley

No, that's not it. I'm looking at the screenshots at their site and there's a screen called 'Save compilation as ISO', see if you can find that.

12. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

Under Data Disc it says
    Allows you to create ISO images, burn usual data discs, MP3-CD's and video.

Under Audio Disc it says
    Allows you to create usual audio with or without gaps between the tracks

Under Burn ISO it says
    Allows you to burn ISO files to disc

13. stantley

stantley

That's the one you want.

14. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

OK, there's a place to check either

Disc at once
    Session at once (add more files later)

I am assuming I chose Session at once because when I browse to the files to chose them, it will only let me do one at a time.

I clicked on the first file to copy, and it opened the file up and says "no items match your search".

15. stantley

stantley

No, you should do Disc at once.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice