1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Making Computer a Wireless Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GigabyteGeek, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GigabyteGeek

GigabyteGeek Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I can't figure out what I'm missing even though I'm searching. I have a computer hooked up to the internet with a cable modem via usb cable. The ethernet part of the modem is hooked up to my xbox 360.

I don't have a wireless router or a wireless internet connection but I do have a Belkin USB Wireless Adapter and I read on the web that you can turn your computer into a wireless hotspot if your computer has a wireless card with antennae or a usb wireless adapter.

Example, I have a Nintendo USB Wireless Adapter. All I do is stick it into my computer's USB port and it becomes a hotspot that I use to connect to my Nintendo DS to the internet wirelessly. So I basically thought that my Belkin adapter would be able to do the same thing only with whatever other devices I try, not my DS.

But all the tutorials I'm watching are confusing me because none of them are quite like my setup. Buying a wireless router for my computer isn't an option at the moment and I want to learn how to do this.

Thanks ahead of time!!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you maybe able to share your USB connection with the wireless adapter
    what windows version do you have XP, Vista, Windows7

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TURN ON ICS
    TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing

General
    -------
    TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

XP
    --
    TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

VISTA
    -----
    TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows VISTA
    http://www.windowsreference.com/win...ternet-connection-sharing-ics-setup-in-vista/

windows 7
    ---------
    TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows 7
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/bridge-network-connections-in-windows-7/

Bridging two network connections:

1. Make sure the secondary connection has DHCP enabled.
    2. Open the Network Connections folder from the Start Menu, Settings.
    3. Select the first connection to be used in the bridge and highlight it by left clicking on it.
    4. Holding the Ctrl key, select the second connection to be used in the bridge by left clicking on it.
    5. Right click on one of the two highlighted connections and select Bridge Connections.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I will never understand why people spend hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars on computers and gaming systems but won't spend the extra $30 on a router so that it makes it easier to hook up multiple devices to their Internet connection.

4. GigabyteGeek

Sorry @etaf, I thought I wrote it lol. I'm using Windows XP, service packs up to date. When I pop in the Belkin, it detects wireless connections from my area so I know it's working at least.

I tried sharing my internet connection with the Belkin the same as with the Nintendo Wifi only by manually creating a new connection under the Belkin's properties before I posted here, but I'm not sure if it's working.

Even though I see the SSID for the connection I created listed on the computer as a wireless connection, I tried a couple of wireless devices to see if any would pick up on it and none detected it so I don't know if they're not detecting anything because I didn't set it up right or because the Belkin can't actually become an access point the way the Nintendo Wifi did?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To create a hotspot (infrastructure network) with the USB adapter it has to support that and/or you need the software to do it.

Without anything special you can use that adapter to create an ad-hoc wireless network. Any other device that wants to connect to it also needs to define the same ad-hoc network. My experience with XP computers using ad-hoc wireless was that it often took multiple iterations to get it working the first time, and then it worked fine (usually) after that initial hurdle.

6. GigabyteGeek

Thanks @terrynet. So it's possible that the Belkin adapter I have may not support being an access point that way? What would I look for in its specs if I look it up online to know? Also, software, you mean like how Windows 7 people use connectify?

When you say it needs to define the same ad hoc, you mean after I set one up on the host, I have to go into the other device and do the same thing? Would that mean just manually entering in the information for the connection I set up on the host or would I have to make an identical connection?

I've been able to use ICS for other things, but I've never tried to add a wireless component so I know I'm just missing something obvious. Anyone know of a good tutorial for this?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, except that all the devices are equivalent; there is no "host."

8. GigabyteGeek

Okay, I'll see if I can figure out what part of this is going wrong when I try to do that. Thank you!!!

9. GigabyteGeek

Okay, I got some help with this over at the other tech support site with a detailed tutorial. It turns out I was setting things up right on my end but my Kindle Fire wasn't detecting it specificaly because it doesn't support ad hoc connections.

And even though connectify has XP support now, its support for XP is limited to ad hoc, so when I tried it again with another device that I know can work with ad hoc, it worked! At least I know now it wasn't my end but the Fire. I just didn't have any other devices around to test my connection with at the time so the fact that it wasn't working totally threw me off.

Thanks again everyone!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You didn't mention the Kindle Fire before. :) Its OS is a mangled version of Android, which does not support ad-hoc wireless (don't know why).

You're welcome. Glad you had success.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice