1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Making my computer run faster

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by justin1988, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justin1988

justin1988 Thread Starter

Hey all,

I have an old computer that's running windows xp, and I want to know what I can delete from my add remove to make things run faster. I use disk cleanup and defrag often, as well as a free registry cleaner every now and again (which seems to pick up the same problems every time, i think mostly because error files are with programs that came preinstalled on my computer that are long gone, if anyone knows how to get rid of those let me know). I'm running on only 512 mb of memory. How do I view other specs? I can also provide a list of the things in add remove if you like so you guys can tell me what's unnessesary.

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again, Justin.

There are two separate, but related issues here. One is the startup time, the time it takes from when you start the computer, until it becomes usable. The other is the general speed of the computer during normal operation.

First, we need to know your processor type and speed. Right-click on My Computer and click on Properties. At the bottom of the window, under 'Computer', it shows your RAM and your processor (CPU) information. What do they say?

Next, In the same window, click on the Advanced tab, and click on the Settings button in the Performance section. You'll see a list of boxes. Uncheck all of them except the last (bottom) two.

Next, download this program:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html
    (there are other better programs than this, but this in good enough for now, and requires no installation.)
    Unzip and click on the Starter.exe file
    Go to File => Save as html and save the file.

In your next post Attach this file.

That's it for now.

3. justin1988

it doesn't say anything on the properties screen. it says dell dimension 3000 512 mb of RAM. That's it. Weird. I remember it used to say the cpu information. Huh. Strange.

NameValueSectionEnabledDescriptionCompanyAdobe Reader Speed Launcher"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"Registry - Machine Run1Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher (Adobe Acrobat)Adobe Systems Incorporated ctfmon.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exeRegistry - User Run1CTF Loader (Microsoft® Windows® Operating System)Microsoft Corporation Dell Photo AIO Printer 922"C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe"Registry - Machine Run1Dell Dell 922 Button Manager (Button Manager Executable) DellSupportCenter"C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenterRegistry - Machine Run1 (SupportSoft sprtcmd )SupportSoft, Inc. DLBTCATSrundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLBTtime.dll,[email protected] - Machine Run1Timer DLL dscactivate"C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"Registry - Machine Run1

igfxhkcmdC:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exeRegistry - Machine Run1hkcmd Module (Intel(R) Common User Interface)Intel Corporation igfxpersC:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exeRegistry - Machine Run1persistence Module (Intel(R) Common User Interface)Intel Corporation igfxtrayC:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exeRegistry - Machine Run1igfxTray Module (Intel(R) Common User Interface)Intel Corporation ISTray"C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"Registry - Machine Run1PC Tools Tray ApplicationPC Tools ISUSScheduler"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -startRegistry - Machine Run1InstallShield Update Service Scheduler (InstallShield Update Service)InstallShield Software Corporation QuickTime Task"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottimeRegistry - Machine Run1QuickTime Task (QuickTime)Apple Inc. SoundMAXPnPC:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exeRegistry - Machine Run1SMax4PNP MFC Application (SMax4PNP Application)Analog Devices, Inc. SunJavaUpdateSchedC:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exeRegistry - Machine Run1 WMPNSCFGC:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exeRegistry - User Run1Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application (Microsoft® Windows® Operating System)Microsoft Corporation
    Generated by CodeStuff Starter. http://CodeStuff.mirrorz.com

4. justin1988

it doesn't seem to copy paste very well. Also, when I was installing the codestuff starter, I got a message that my virtual memory minimum was too low. That's never come up before. It's gone now, so I guess windows increased it?

5. Claymore

Claymore

OK,

Go to Start => Run and type in msinfo32
    In the System Summary at the top, look at 'Processor' on the right.
    What does it say.

Also, when I asked for the html file, I was asking you attach it. When posting, click the paperclip at the top to attach, just like in e-mail, if you can . Thanks. I can wade through the text you posted if we have to.
    If it won't let you attach an html file, go back to Starter and 'Save As' a .txt file.

6. justin1988

Ok, it wouldn't let me add the html, so I saved it as a txt file and attached it. Also, on the system information thing, it says:

Can't Collect Information

Cannot access the windows management instrumentation software. Windows management files may be moved or missing.

YIKES! Since when has my computer had so many problems? It's usually fine. I guess I don't go snooping through my computer often. I have a feeling that there are alot of unnecessary folders lurking, though. I await your response my wise friend.

Attached Files:

7. Claymore

Claymore

First, for the msinfo32 not functioning problem:

From another forum:

Problem Description ***
    When going into Msinfo32 (System Information) you may get an error

Can’t Collect Information
    Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows Management
    files may be moved or missing.

————————————————————————————–
    *** Resolution ***

CAUSE
    =====

This behavior can occur if files in the %SystemRoot%System32WbemRepository
    folder become corrupted.

RESOLUTION
    ==========

To resolve this behavior, delete and then recreate the files in the
    Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository folder:

1. On the Desktop, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

2. Under “Services and Applications”, click Services, and then stop the Windows
    Management Instrumentation service (click the Stop button).

3. Delete all of the files that are in the C;\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository
    folder.

4. Restart the computer. The files are recreated when the computer restarts.

================================

Next, in the Starter program, uncheck the boxes for the following:

Adobe Reader Speed Launcher (unless you use Adobe a lot).
    Dell Support Center
    dscactivate
    QuickTime Task
    SunJava Update
    SoundMaxPnP (only needed to add new speakers, headphones)
    igfxtray
    igfxpers
    WMPNSCFG (used for sharing Windows Media Player playlists. Leave if you do this)
    Dlbtcats (uncheck only if you don't have a Dell Photo Printer)

Any item you uncheck can be re-checked any time.

8. justin1988

I have a dell all in one printer, does that count?

secondly, I followed the instructions for the msinfo32, but it still shows the error message. I'll try it again. Awaiting your response.

9. justin1988

also just wanted to note as for the msinfo problem that there are two different things listed under services: windows management instrumentation and windows management instrumentation driver extensions. i stopped the first. the second is on manuel as of now.

10. justin1988

ummmmm also the repository folder is still empty. i went to try to delete the files in the folder again after stopping the windows management instrumentation and its still empty.

11. Claymore

Claymore

In the Repository folder there should be no files and no sub-folders.
    After restarting the computer, the Windows Management Instrumentation service (the first one) should be set at Automatic and Started.

For the printer question, I believe it refers to a photo printer, but just leave it for now. I have another way to check if it's valid later.

If msinfo still refuses to work (we''ll worry about it later), download this utility:

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
    The Standalone version on the left is fine for now (i.e. no installation required).

Start the program and look at:
    Hardware => Motherboard
    Look on the right and copy down what it says for:
    CPU and Max CPU Speed

12. justin1988

Intel celeron cpu 2.4 ghz
    max capacity 4096 Mbytes

im also constructing a list of all my programs in add remove and the space they're taking up. but im trying to watch the new episode of the office at the same time, so im still here but only on commercials. ;)

13. nessyguin

nessyguin

Just as a little added input here - not quite a benchmark though - I've had a Dimension 3000 running XP here for about 2 years . Originally came with a 2.8Ghz CPU and 512Mb RAM but was impressed enough with it to upgrade to 3.2Ghz and 1.5 Gb and it's a flier of a machine so well worth the low cost of upgrading . This isn't an alternative to the good advice being provided by Claymore - more a consideration for when you get the current issue sorted :)

14. Claymore

Claymore

The installed program list in Add/Remove is only just that - installed programs. It has little to do with speed, unless they're running. But it's good to clear what you don't need.

The information in the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) is of more value under Processes and Performance.

Also the pagefile size. It is set by right-clicking My Computer => Properties => Advanced => Settings in the 'Performance section => Advanced => Change in the Virtual Memory section
    A size of about 800MB is standard for your amount of RAM, or select 'System Managed'.

p.s. another 512MB of RAM would do you good too.

I'm going back to my TV show too.

Later!

15. justin1988

Thanks for the information nessyguin! If I upgrade though, I'll probably get vista and get like 4gb of ram and a heck of a better processor, something top of the line.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice