1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Malware/Spyware Stopping Windows Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by cjw2k, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjw2k

cjw2k Thread Starter

Hi There

I was on a website yesterday and it wanted to install an Active X control and I stupidly allowed it. I turned off Windows Automatic Updates and I started getting popups. It wont allow me to turn this back on. I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot but it still isn't allowing me to get anywhere.

Any Suggestions? Thanks

2. cjw2k

cjw2k Thread Starter

I ran the two mentioned programs after posting here but problems still occuring. Spybot says with one of them that I should restart the computer and disconnect from the internet and allow it to run again.

3. cjw2k

cjw2k Thread Starter

It is also, most of the time, not allowing Google to do searches if that helps to answer the query.

4. cjw2k

cjw2k Thread Starter

Hi There

I have solved this issue. I had Antivirus 2009 popups happening, I used Malwarebyte's Anti Malware and it worked great. Has allowed Automatic Updates to be tunred on again also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice