1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Malware, .tt3.tmp and XP Winantivirus 2008

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Baoth, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baoth

Baoth Thread Starter

Good moning all!

I have a feeling that this may take some time to explain let alone looking at cleaning the machine down.

I am one of the engineers at my company and one of our customers reported that her machine was popping up messages in the notification area (following her clicking on an e-mail attachment I believe) advising her that the machine was infected, so she called us to advise. It pops up the "please click here to perform a scan" (etc etc, I am sure you have seen those before).

Anyway, having connected to the machine I noticed that the infection initially pointed to the well known XP Antivirus 2008 program. Previous meetings with this in the early stages (at least for me so far that is) using Malwarebytes generally removes the problem. I completed a scan with this, fixed the problems but the machine was still showing problems.

Not 100% sure, and am certainly no malware / security expert, so I ran the scan again as well as scans with ccleaner and Spybot. Rebooting the machine and all the problems pop back up again. It was popping up a "splash" screen for Winantivirus before the user was able to log in. To make some more sence, everything so far had been done remotely.

We have since collected the machine as one of my colleagues advised to look at this in safe mode. Once the machine was on site, all temp files were removed, system restore turned off and then booted into safe mode. Completed scans with ccleaner and Spybot and have also browsed the machine and users profile for anything that looked suspect. Once this process was completed, machine rebooted and all seemed much better apart from the network card stopped working. We decided to do a repair install of XP which has not helped at all. Aside from random BSoD issues (all with different stop messages) on the odd accasion that it does allow us to log in - the splash sceen pops back up again.

I have checked msconfig and were some entries there that were blank but enabled. I have disabled these, as well as some other items that are not needed at startup but the issues still persist.

I have not run a scan with Hijack this as yet. This is for no real reason, but I am weary of the scans as I am not sure what I am looking for. If one is required or requested I will get one as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading my post - cheers.

Paul

2. Baoth

Baoth Thread Starter

Hi all

Will close this now as the machine has been re-installed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice