1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: managing boot in drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by circleforum, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. circleforum

circleforum Thread Starter

hi all:

Im wondering i it is possible to set my s.o and boot files in this way:

1) DISK C:\ --> 10 mb size to store all boot files ( ntdrl, boot ini etc...)
    2) DISK D:\ --> WIN 2000 files ( program files, windows ...)
    3) DISK E:\ --> WIN XP 64X ( program files, windows ...)

How do I do that?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Make the 10MB drive the primary partition and then the other two partitions would be logical drives in an extended partition. Install Windows 2000 first, then Windows XP. Windows XP will automatically set up a boot menu.

3. circleforum

circleforum Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation, it works:

What I have done is this:

1) Taking the explanation basis gave by Alex.First of all, set the partition in x number depending how many s.o you do plan to use adding a plus tiny partition for store the boot files and the other partitions to store the s.o. Use for this software like partition magic 8 ( recommended ) or acronis disk director or similar. I created two partition ( 10 mb for booting files ) and another with 120 size for win 2k and more later I created the last partition for win xp.

2) When installing the first s.o, in this case is windows 2000, the CD rom install after loading drivers and later it will show you the drives and partition you have done in first item. You will notice that if try to install the s.o. in the tiny partition ( 10 mb in my example ) the system will warn you that partition is too small to install it choose another more bigger and wait to finish the install. Choose the big partition and the install begins.

The result is you will see the boot files in c: and the windows 2000 in D:\

Its all, I hope this help to someone who plans this kind of installation. XD

Thanks again

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Glad I could help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice