1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Many programs failing to connect

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MingRen, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MingRen

MingRen Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to this forum so sorry if it's considered bad form to make a post this large.
    On my computer several things that I want to do such as using Mozilla Firefox, Windows Live Messenger, the TopCoder Arena, updating Java through the internet, and accessing battle.net all fail for me. All of the problems seem to related to my computer not being able to connect to the net but for some reason I can still use IE to make this post.
    The following are all the error messages I receive:

Mozilla Firefox
    When I try to run firefox it gives me this:
    Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com.
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

When I click "Check for Updates", it gives me this message:
    There were problems checking for, downloading, or installing this update. Firefox could not be updated because:
    AUS: Connection Refused

(I don't know what AUS means and my firewall permits firefox, anyways firefox doesn't run even when I turn
    my firewall off)

Windows Live Messenger:
    When I try to sign in it gives me this:

We were unable to sign you into Windows Live Messenger at this time. Please try again later. Windows Live Messenger has made several failed attempts to sign you in. Your firewall may be blocking Windows Live Messenger from connecting to the service. Please review your firewall settings. See the retailer's instructions for more information.
    Error code: 80072efd

When I click "Troubleshoot" I get a warning symbol at "Key Ports".

Just like for firefox, my firewall permits this and even when I turn my firewall off, I still can't run Windows Live.

TopCoder Arena
    This is a java program that runs off topcoder.com. My computer runs it with Java Web Start and opens a dialog box saying Java Web Start - Download Error. The window displays "Unable to launch competition arena."
    When I click details it says "Unable to load resource: http://www.topcoder.com/contest/arena/Contest/AppletProd.jnlp"

Attempting to Update Java (Version 6, update 5)
    When trying to install java off of http://www.java.com/en/download/wind...ww.java.com:80 I get this message:
    The installer cannot proceed with the current Internet Connection settings. Please visit the following web site for more information. http://java.com/en/download/help.
    Yet when I click the site and check for my error message, it's not there o_0

battle.net
    I'm trying to play Starcraft in this case.
    Message: "Unable to connect to battle.net. You may be trying to connect to an invalid battle.net server. If using a modem you may need to manually connect to the internet before connecting to battle.net. For more information go to www.battle.net/support/errormessages"
    Again, I go to the site and my error message isn't there. >_<

2. MingRen

MingRen Thread Starter

Kk, solved the problem by running EnumProcess and found some Norton/Symantec services that were running even though I thought I got rid of them. Sorry for taking up space.

3. ChristinaD19

ChristinaD19

MingRen, I have the same problems you were having. Can you tell me what exactly you changed with Symantec/Norton that fixed your problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice