1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Mapped network drives unmapping at boot

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chetjordan2002, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chetjordan2002

chetjordan2002 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have several computers on a network hooked to a server. All of these computers are running XP and have are mapped to a drive on my server. The problem is, once in a while the mapped drive will suddenly not be there. I can manually remap them and sometimes I have to remap 2 or 3 times before it keeps. Another strange aspect is that the other computers on the network aren't experiencing issues at the same time. I get one up and running, then a few days to a couple weeks later another experiences the same issues. Anyone with any ideas would be appreciated.

-Frustrated

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

Check the settings for the network adapter (in Device Manager, locate the NIC and go through its properties). Often the adapter may be set to allow the computer to turn it off after periods of inactivity in order to save power. If you find such a setting and change it, restart the computer afterwards.

3. chetjordan2002

Would this cause the issue if its only on boot? I'm not losing connection while booted up. Only after a restart.

4. kimmer13

kimmer13

good point, sorry I missed that part in your post.

i have had that happen with mapped drives between xp machines in a strictly peer-to-peer setting, and was never able to pinpoint 'why'. so I wrote a batch file to create the mapped drives i needed and placed it in the startup folder. (i used the net use /delete first just in case they were still connected)

i know this doesn't tell you why its happening but it deals w/the issue. plus has the advantage of be able to just run the batch file from the start menu if you lose connection during a windows session.

i always wondered if something was causing the destination to not reply to the pc in time to complete the connection - either the physical router(s) between the two, or firewall settings on one or the other.

5. chetjordan2002

Do you have a sample that I could use to get me started?

6. kimmer13

kimmer13

here is a sample (the password /USER:Username is optional, we needed it due to the way that network is set up)

net use z: /delete
    NET USE Z: \\USERNAME\SHARE password /USER:Username

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice