Solved: Maxtor 500gb external hard drive issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DaveNabb

Help please i have a maxtor 500gb external hard drive that i store all my music on. i was quite happy listening to some when all of a sudden it stopped checked in my computer and the hard drive wasn't listed as being connected. so i presumed it had become unplugged somehow, checked all connections from drive to laptop and they were solid, but it came apparent that the green power light was not on checked the plug and it was still plugged in and when i pull cable out of drive and try plugging it back in the light comes on for a short period of time (1-2 seconds) then goes back out again.
Now i have over 40,000 tracks stored on there 90% are backed up but is this a fault with the drive itself or the power supply unit??

dustyjay

Jay
It is possible that the case the drive is in has gone bad rather than the drive inside. I have a Maxtor PS3000 that the Wall Wart burned out. Drive is fine the case is fine but can't find a proper powered Wall Wart for it. Any way, you could remove the drive from the case and attach it to a desktop compouter to see if the drive is still good.

DaveNabb

i shall try but this is a sealed unit so no screws to undo to be able to take it apart. one thing i have noticed is when i power it up it starts to spin but then stops, don't know if that helps with any diagnosis at all

DaveNabb

no i don't think it is still under warrenty even if it was i don't know where the recipt is anymore :( all it says on the box is Maxtor basics 500gb external hard drive it is a high speed version 7200rpm hope that helps

Well, I suppose it wouldn't matter much, anyway, because if you want the data back, you have no choice but to take it out of the case, warranty or not. They certainly would not try to save your data when they replaced it.

Before you try anything else, make sure that it behaves the same on another computer. If that drive is powered by the USB port, we want to make sure that it is actually the drive that is having problems and not just that there has been some sort of problem with the USB power supply of the laptop. If you have another source of USB power, that would substitute for a second computer check. You may have a charger for some device in your home that has a USB port on it since that device can be charged with either AC power or from a USB port. You could try that for a power supply to the drive if you have a Y-cable and can connect it to power and the laptop simultaneously. Otherwise, you'll need a second computer.

Taking it out is your only hope. Just don't bang it while doing it. The plastic cases went together, so they will come apart. I had a hard time getting my MyBook out of its case, but I did. The drive is just a normal hard drive and if you have the right connection, you can just connect it internally to a desktop, or get another case for it. Internally is better for recovery software because it then has access to the BIOS parameters of the drive while those are not accessible through the USB interface. But, if the case was bad, you may not need any recovery software because the drive will work normally when connected outside of the defective case.

DaveNabb

OK thank you everyone for your help on this. I did manage to get this unit open and get the drive out to put in a new case and this solved the problem. phew lol

Very lucky. :D

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

And make backups. All drives, 100% of them, will fail. The only reason they may not is if you stop using them before they do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online