Solved: Maxtor hard drive details required

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnni

I have a Maxtor D740X-6L 40gb drive but there are no details marked on the drive casing for me to enter into the BIOS. The BIOS shows most items as AUTO and everything works OK but I need to enter the drive details into the BIOS because when I use Acronis TI7 I cannot make a drive restore when using the TI startup disk as it says it cannot find any hard drives. (When I exit TI the PC starts normally).

I figured that if I fed the drive details into the BIOS instead of AUTO it might enable TI to 'see' the hard drive at TI startup.

I have Googled the drive but I cannot find the relevant details as required by the BIOS; namely -

cylinders
head
sector
CHS capacity
Maximum LBA capacity
(although I think the last two might be automatic, currently shown as 0mb)

Usually this kind of information is marked on the drive itself but not in this case.

Can anybody advise, please?

johnni

Triple6

Rob
You do not need to enter any parameters for the drive, that was only needed with really old drives. Just run the auto detection in the BIOS.

What motherboard or IDE controller is the drive attached too? TI7 did have some issues with RAID type controllers.

johnni

Main Circuit Board
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V-133 ACPI
BIOS Revision 1004 03/06/2001

Controllers
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

The computer is nearly six years old and uses Win ME. All other PCs I have used TI7 with finds the HD drives whenever I insert the Acronis startup disk, but not this one. There is no point in having TI if I cannot make a restore operation if I need to.

johnni

Triple6

Rob
That board does have the Promise RAID controller that people have had issues using TI7 with.

You could try moving the hard drive to the motherboard's own VIA IDE controller, and maybe even disabling the Promise controller altogether, and then it should work.

TI7 is now an old program and the new versions handle various controllers really well.

johnni

Triple6 - thanks for the reply but I am a little out of my depth with your suggestion. At present the CD and DVD units are connected to the primary and secondary IDE. The two HDs (C: and D:) are connected by one flat cable to the primary Ultra ATA 100 IDE; the second ditto is unused.
Where can I find the "the motherboard's own VIA IDE controller" and how to disable the Promise controller?
I attach the motherboard plan from the manual.

Thanks Rugrat for the useful link.

Attachments

Triple6

Rob
Looking at the manual off the Asus website: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt133a/a7v133/a7v133-105.pdf

The two higher IDE ports are the motherboard's own IDE controllers provided by the VIA chipset. The two lower are the Promise Controllers. Take the IDE cable with both hard drives from the Promise controller and move it to the Primary VIA IDE controller. If you one CD & DVD drive on each of the primary and secondary connectors then you'll need to connect both together on the same IDE cable on the secondary IDE and change the jumpers so one is Master and the other is Slave.

johnni

Thank you very much Triple6.

I tried swapping the CD drive cable and the HD cable. When I started up with my Acronis startup CD in the drive and then tried an experimental Restore from my external HD where the TI7 backup files are stored, Acronis was able to recognise that I had ANY internal HDs at all. That was the first time Acronis had found the drives.

I did find the C: drive was a bit slow (or was it my imagination?) with this arrangement so I have swapped the cables back to how they were; I shall do incremental backups to the ext. drive and when I really need to do a restore I only have to swap the cables first.

It's great to have TI7 working as it does with my other PCs so thanks again.

johnni

Triple6

Rob
The Promise controller may indeed be a little faster, they've been doing controllers for a long time and thats their specialty. But as long as it works thats good.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online