1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Maxtor hard drive failing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgl1, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Thats the message Powermax is giving me. Can this drive be fixed? Can I do it? Any programs available. It's a relatively new hard drive.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If it's a new HD then it should still be under warranty. Can you not exchange it for another one?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Maxtor hard drive failing is the message you got? :confused:

4. Tjash2010

Tjash2010

With my computer I got a whole hard drive fail and it didnt show me anything. I took the hard drive out and hit it with my hand a couple times and it powered right up. I was able to get into my computer and I didnt a test and it showed no bad sectors. So I dont know what cuased that.

So it was as simple as hitting the hard drive.

5. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

That doesn't sound very good to me!

6. qldit

qldit

G'day, yes you might treat it carefully and consider doing a few tests with scandisk or some program like that. That is a nasty message, especially if your warranty is done. It usually is indicative of clusters dying or damaged.
    Any hitting of a drive may cause the heads to damage the platter surface, any vibration generally is ungood.
    Some hard drives may not bias the heads away from the platters when the thing is powered down, so it is possible for them to "hammer" the surface area and kill it.
    I like to always run drives horizontally to be able to consider vertical vibration transients rather than other cases where the drive was mounted otherwise.
    A piece of foam under the case does assist if you wan't to be more attentive.
    Any moving of the machine system from one place to another should always be treated as "eggs". My son's and their "Lan Nights" at different locations regularly have drive failures from apparent careless handling.
    Also any moving should be done only after a reasonable drive spin-down period.
    Some people unplug their machines and walk off carelessly putting the thing in their cars or whatever without any consideration for the poor old drive still doing 8 or 9 thousand RPM and possible preccessive forces that may apply especially with non-biassed head assemblies rattling around.
    Drive failing problems are usually terminal and progressive.
    Cheers, qldit.

7. winbob

winbob

And you are comfortable with that solution??? :rolleyes:

8. Tjash2010

Tjash2010

I was confortable with that solution. But recently I bought a bigger hard drive, but that hard drive still works and holds everything.

If all else fails always give it a try.

9. JohnWill

Well, let us know in a few weeks when the drive fails and you lose all the data on it. :rolleyes:

10. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

So you Fonzied it. Mine is about a year old. Maybe a bit older. I think it has bad sectors. It works but not always that well.

11. winbob

winbob

John, he said he was comfortable...who are we to argue with that. :p

12. JohnWill

I have this image in my head... [​IMG]

13. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

I reformatted this harddrive and now the computer won't allow me into it. It recognizes it's there and says working properly, but when I open My Computer it's not visible. What do I need to do?

14. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If you did a low level format, you will need to re-partition and high level format it. Run PowerMax again and see what IT says.

15. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Excellent. Powermax wouldn't do it but Disc manager worked fine. Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/350345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice