1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Maxtor one touch ext. hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Rik60, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rik60

Rik60 Thread Starter

I have a Maxtor one touch ext. hard drive that I let my DVR format so I could save some movies I recorded. Now that I don't need the movies any longer, I wanted to use it for backing up computer files but the DVR format must have removed the original software that was put on it to make it function so now my computer won't recognize it as a hard drive. It tells me that the drivers are loaded but I cant access it. I have been to the Seagate sites and can only find drivers to download but I can't find copies of the setup software that originally came with it. It was given to me by a friend that also no longer has the software. Does anyone have any idea where I could find this software?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Rik60

Rik60 Thread Starter

Thanks for that response however, windows does not recognize the Maxtor as a drive of any kind, so therefore there is no way to format it that I know of. If you know of some way to get the format option to come up, that would be a great help.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Does Windows see anything at all when you attach it.
    How do you attach it (USB, Parallel, etc.)?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So no device is listed in Device Manager or Disk Management? You did say the drivers were loaded, which by the way are included in Windows and no other drivers or software is required.

Can you post a screen shot of Disk Management?

Are you sure all the cables are securely plugged in? Have you tried other USB ports or another computer?

6. Rik60

Rik60 Thread Starter

It does not show up as a drive when you go into "MY COMPUTER" however it does show up as "Maxtor onetouch II USB devise" under disk drives in devise manager. It also says that the drivers are loaded but there is not any way to format the drive from devise manager that I can find. According to the person that gave me the disk drive, there was a cd that came with the Maxtor that had some sort of operating software on it, that had to be loaded but he no longer had that CD. I guess what I'm trying to find out is how to find that software. I have been to the Seagate and the have updates for the drivers and the "firmware" but they are just that,"UPDATES", not the original software so that doesn't help me.

7. Rik60

Rik60 Thread Starter

I have tried another computer and a different usb port...same problem though.

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

Not sure about this, but maybe if you have partitioning software, it might recognize the drive. If the software has a formatting tool, you can then use it to format the drive, assuming it will work...

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Has it been partitioned?
    It may be worth clearing everything and starting again even if it has already been done.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Forget about My Computer. Forget about Device Manager. I have asked you to check Disk Management; that is where you go to partition and format drives. Have you gone to Disk Management, post a screen shot of Disk Management. I posted a link on how to get to it already.

11. Rik60

Rik60 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Rik60

Rik60 Thread Starter

Triple6, Sorry, I'm not that computer savvy, I thought that "My Computer" was the disk management you were referring to. I have attempted to post a screen shot of that for you to look at. It appears to me that the "Disk 3" is the Maxtor but I don't know what to do from here. I'll wait to hear from you again before I attempt anything. Thanks again for the response.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Right click on each one of the two partitions on Disk 3 in the bottom window and choose "Delete Volume". Then once both partitions are gone, right click again and select "New Simple Volume" and go through the wizard; that should create a new Windows compatible partition, format it, and assign it a drive letter. Once that is done the drive should appear in My Computer and be usable again.

14. Rik60

Rik60 Thread Starter

Yes!! It work. Triple6 you are a real lifesaver. Thanks so much for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad you got it working again (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice