1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: may have removed some stuff - reg cleaner - laptop slower

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 3rdgreatest, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3rdgreatest

3rdgreatest Thread Starter

hi, well there was a reg clean and a reg defrag run on this laptop and some programs removed with prompts ignored. i have run malwarebytes, superantispyware free and it has come back clean. apps and windows hang a little, performance is slower and some apps freeze were they didn't before. this has been tolerated for about a month, looking for assistance. i do have os disc and driver/app recovery disc but have not initiated repair, would really appreciate any help / suggestions. thank you for your time.

2. Sponsor

3. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,3rdgreatest before wiping your hard drive try a system restore to see if it improves,Go to start>accessessories>system tools>system restore,click on the arrow top left to go backwards and choose a date that is in a bolder print when you recall your pc was running ok,if the restore is unsuccessful you can go to another date and try or back to todays date

4. 3rdgreatest

thanks for replying. i have tried to roll back as far as 3 months back with no noticeable changes. again, this has been a persisting problem that, while obviously slower, the laptop has been functional for the past month. i tried the system restore at 3 months, then tried 6, but it did not take. i should say that I would rather avoid reinstall.

5. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Do you know what program was used to clean the registry? It may have saved a backup of what it "fixed."

6. valis

valis Moderator

may want to try restore in safe mode; that usually takes.

Regardless, I hope that you learned about the hazards of registry cleaners..........sorry to hear that it was the hard way, though.

One other thing, you can always reinstall XP and keep the existing file structure. This means that you won't lose any data that isn't in the 'my documents' folder.

cheers,

v

7. 3rdgreatest

yes, although no longer installed, it was tuneup utilities

8. 3rdgreatest

yeah, valis, learned the hard way. just glad the pc didn't come to a stand still. if it comes to it, i'll initiate a reinstall like you mention.

9. huggie54

huggie54

hiya 3rdgreatest,try a windows repair first see how that pans out before a complete wipe/reinstall

10. 3rdgreatest

is the sticky'd thread a good start then?, for the repair i mean.

11. huggie54

huggie54

yes my friend,select your os and follow the instructions( print them off if you can).Please report back if any problems,g/luck Huggie54

12. 3rdgreatest

ok, i did the repair install, and some stuff wasn't installed correctly for some reason. most noticeably the keyboard hardware. which left me stuck for a half hour. i tried a 2nd time and same outcome, keyboard hardware failure to install, fatal error. so, with my pointer still working, I copied files i didn't want to lose to an external hd and did the complete reinstall. at the moment, everything looks/seems good, performance isn't slow, but I've yet to reinstall my programs other than antivirus/spyware.
    i'd like to thank huggie54 and those who commented, i appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

13. huggie54

huggie54

g/luck mate Huggie54

14. valis

valis Moderator

sorta what we're here for, hondo. :)

hope to see you back giving advice..........it's a fun, and rather addicting, thing to do.

cheers,

v

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916773