Solved: MB Raid Sata Ports

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobcoolos

Should be able to.
Just make sure the controller is not set to raid in the BIOS.
Tnx ill look for that. I plan to buy another HDD to install Vista Ultimate on and run a dual boot so i can have the best of both worlds. mayby ill just move my 2 DvD drives to the 2 black sata ports and see the MB try and raid thos haha.

crjdriver

From your board manual. Sata 1-4 are set to native ide by default. Sata 5,6 are set to ahci or raid mode. If you intend to use these ports, you need to load the driver for them. This info is on page 2-31 of your manual.

bobcoolos

From your board manual. Sata 1-4 are set to native ide by default. Sata 5,6 are set to ahci or raid mode. If you intend to use these ports, you need to load the driver for them. This info is on page 2-31 of your manual.
This kinda looks like a speed bump in my plans.

on page 2-31 it says

"SATA5-6 connectors support AHCI mode and RAID mode only. Make sure to install the AHCI driver or RIAD driver in the bundled support DVD before connecting the devices to SATA 5-6 connectors. Otherwise, the devices will not work.

Due to chipset limitation, when set any of SATA pors to raid mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode togeather

You must install the Windows XP Service Pack 1 before using Serial ATA hard disk drives. The Serial ATA RAID feature (RAID 0 and RAID 1) is available only if you are using windows XP or later version."

so does this mean i will have to buy a PCI addon card to add more sata drives?

crjdriver

You can use 6 sata ports. I do not understand what you are asking.

Post exactly what you are attempting to accomplish; ie what config are you trying to use.

bobcoolos

You can use 6 sata ports. I do not understand what you are asking.

Post exactly what you are attempting to accomplish; ie what config are you trying to use.
the part here...
SATA 5-6 connectors support AHCI mode and RAID mode only.
Not sure what AHCI really means but as far as i know RIAD is combining 2 HDDS to make the HHD seem like 1 or to mirrior the other.

i want to use SATA 5 and 6 just like i am using 1,2,3 & 4 just plug in the new drive and have it show up and work. I will soon have 5 sata drives to hook up but im not sure if i can use SATA ports 5 & 6 the same ways.

Sry if can not explain what i want that well. I just want to hook up a 3rd HDD and have it to install Win Vista 64 Ultimate.

leroys1000

Banned
In order to use the ahci sata interface,you must first
have the drivers installed
I am not seeing anything that says you have to use it in raid mode.
The driver supposedly enables advanced functions.
So,in order for vista to see the drive while installing,you
would need to have the drivers on a floppy and follow
the instructions in windows setup to install the drivers
during installation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Vista supports ACHI without the need to provide drivers on floppy.

You can use all 6 SATA ports to connect drives without using RAID.

crjdriver

Just plug in your drive.

From your manual, the first 4 ports run in native ide mode unless you change it in the bios. The last 2 ports [5&6] run in an advanced sata mode ie ahci or raid.

This is really a pretty neat feature when you think about it. You can connect a sata type DVD drive and still use the features of ahci. Many chipsets have problems when using an optical drive on sata configured to use ahci.

bobcoolos

Just plug it in sounds good to me tnx. sry again for the confusion.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!